speed o meter repair

30

Asked by Jul 13, 2013 at 06:50 PM about the 1987 Chevrolet El Camino

my speedometer is 15 miles slo do register 55 ur doing 70? can I reset it?

71,775

Do you have the correct size tires on the rear of your El Camino? If you have wheels and tires of a larger diameter than was originally on the car, there's your problem. You'll need to change the speedometer driven gear on the transmission to correct this. Same thing if you have a different gear ratio in the rear axle than was originally on the car. Your local racing or speed shop can help you get the correct speedometer driven gear. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer Mark helpful
30

ok thanks

71,775

You're welcome. Thank you for the best answer click. Glad to help. -Jim

16,465

The best transmission gear change will correct 10 mph max according to what I did on my trans. I had to have the speedometer overhauled to help correct it. Use a GPS device to get the near correct speed in drive or 4th gear. If you have a tac. find out the rpms showing at 60 mph. and take that to the shop to help them correct the error. If you changed the rear end, different size wheels and or tires, take that into consideration. Is the transmission stock or changed? It all adds up. I may be wrong on the gear from the transmission only doing a 10 mph change, but my slipping memory is telling me that.