I can't get my ElComino to start

10

Asked by Oct 28, 2016 at 08:24 PM about the 1980 Chevrolet El Camino

I can't get my 1980 ElComino to start its not
getting gas after I changed the manual fuel
pump any idea what might be going on
HELP stranded on the side of the road

67,285

If it'll run a few seconds if you spray starting fluid down the carburetor, try this. Use the handle of a screwdriver and tap on the carburetor where the fuel line screws into it. The float in the carburetor may be stuck. HTH. -Jim

10

I have no fuel in to my filter could my filter need changed

67,285

Sounds like the fuel pump. Did you put an electric pump on, or a mechanical pump like the original? HTH. -Jim

10

Mechanical

10

I am parked at an angle so I might not be getting fuel from my tank

67,285

Ok, if your tank is that low. It's a possibility. Put some gas in it then remove the gas line at the carburetor. Have a helper crank the engine. Since it may be bone dry, it may take a minute or two of cranking but gas should spurt out of the disconnected gas line. If not, either the new fuel pump is bad, there's a blockage in the fuel line, or the fuel and EVAP lines are hooked up incorrectly at the pump. HTH. -Jim