Asked by May 05, 2017 at 09:52 PM about the 1979 Chevrolet El Camino

What would cause a wire in the back of the
fuse box to melt it's the only melted wire I

It's possibly shorted out somewhere. Or could be to large a fuse installed. Have you added anything to electrical system lately? That vehicle still use the round glass fuses? If so check to see if one has been wrapped up with metal gum wrap or aluminum foil. Also could be just a loose connection close to where the melting started. Loose connections cause heat.

My grandfather got it for me as something to motivate me to get my grades up when we got the el camino we got a project one so I can learn more about working on cars when we got it though it only had one or two fuses in it and when I look at the wires I can see where the old owners fixed wires and taped them back together and stuff like in the dash there are several wires taped back together but the melted wire goes from the back of the fuse box to the bottom part of the steering column with some other wires but that's the only one that was melted or had anything wrong with it

That is a great body style. Try following that wire all the way to its end. Inspecting as you go for bad or shorted out spots in it.

I replaced the whole wire but I'm looking in the dash right now and there's a lot of wires that aren't hooked up and there's other wires that are two different colors the other owner hooked up or cut does anyone know where I can get a new wiring harness where I don't have to order it