My El Camino is all the sudden running very badly if given any throttle what so ever.

Asked by Oct 10, 2016 at 02:44 PM about the 1969 Chevrolet El Camino

I just bought the thing and am discovering it was messed with more than i
thought. It has a 454 with a souped up four barrel and an electric fuel pump.
It ran great for about two weeks and then in a matter of a couple miles
stopped running if given any throttle what so ever. Ideals pretty good but the
minute you give it throttle it starts jumping, coughing and bucking like a bull.
I replaced the coil and router with no difference. My friend says it acts like the
timing is way off or maybe its starving for fuel. I checked the fuel all the way
up to the carb and it's receiving tons of fuel. I dont even know where to look
next. Can anyone give me a new idea?

I think you are getting to much gas thru the carb, try adjusting your idle mixture.

Thank Mark, the carb has a fuel regulator. The fuel pumps supposedly pumps 130gl per hour, Holly blue barrel, very noisy. Maybe the regulator is letting too much in or not enough? I was thinking of putting a manual pump back on and getting rid of the extra tubes and stuff. How would I check something like that?

Check the spark plugs. If they're black it's running rich (too much gas), if they're white it's running lean (not enough gas). You want to remove the plugs and look at the tip (electrode) that goes into the engine. If you still have the conventional ignition system change your points and condenser. Inspect the distributor cap an rotor as well. Of course, check the spark plug wires as well. By your description it sounds like an overly rich air/fuel mixture. Do you have a Holly Carburetor on it? If so, get an Edlebrock. They're much better!! HTH. -Jim

One other thing, make sure the choke plate is fully open when the engine is fully warmed up. HTH. -Jim

Mark, thanks. It acually has a Edlebrock. I changed out the distributor cap and the coil that is in the cap itself, rotor but haven't looked at the plugs. Im wondering now if the fuel regulator is letting too much gas in. It has an electric fuel pump that supposedly delivers 130gph. I would like to put a manual pump back on the block but dont know which one would work with the Edle