rear brake drum replacement

Asked by Jun 24, 2012 at 07:54 PM about the 1989 Buick Century

i have a 89 buick century and i need to raeplace the rear brakes  but i dont know how to take the drums off to fix it

6,425

i think there are lock washers behind the lugnuts holding the drum.. i have not had one since my 86 lesabre... but anyway... GET a NEEDLENOSE Pliers and unscrew the lockwashers off. the drum should come out now.

210,315

Hmm, do you have all the directions to replace the shoes, it's pretty complicated with all the springs. You will need special drum brake tools to remove and install them. But if you want to know how to take the drum off, first remove the wheel and properly support the vehicle with a jack stand, and pull on the drum. It might require you to wiggle it back and forth, but if should break free and slide off the studs. Good Luck!