Have you driven a 2003 Mazda Protege5?

Displaying 21 - 30 of 2003 Mazda Protege5 30 reviews.

Chris writes:
Appearance:
Overall:

03 Mazda Protege 5 — My '03 Mazda handles like a much higher-end car. Its quite tight and responsive, with surprising power for a 4-cylinder engine. The factory stabilizer bar really adds to its handling. The exterior is as sharp as it ever was. I have always liked the eye-catching design, and the Laser Blue Mica color is still one of my faves. As the car has aged a bit, I notice some of the interior finishes not holding up as well as they should. However, Mazda has done a great job in upgrading interior materials in their more recent models. A couple of annoying and potentially expensive things have popped up, i.e. a bum airbag sensor and a sprung seat belt latch. Other than that I have spent next to nothing on this car other than normal maintenance. For my next car I plan to upgrade either to the CX-7 or CX-9.

Pros: handling, appearance

Cons: road noise

Justin writes:
Appearance:
Overall:

My P5 — According to Fairbanks Mazda, i was the first Lazer Blue Protege 5 owner in South Florida. Now, years later and living in Vermont, i still have my P5 and love it with every new day. This is my 5th Mazda and still proud. Never any issues, tons of mileage, and they all purr like a kitten. The reason for new Mazda's is the awesome looks and style. Though, have not plans to get rid of my P5 anytime soon....

Pros: Looks, reliability, gas, control,

Cons: The clunk, OEM paint job

Joe writes:
Appearance:
Overall:

I Love My Little Speedy Yellow Car! — I love this car. It's fast enough to get my kicks in and it can hold ALL my guitar equipment so its just the right size. It gets 27-40 mpg depending on how aggresive I drive. Also the clutch is really stiff which I love so much. It is rusting but I can't complain because it still performs.

Pros: Fast, stiff clutch, great handling, great brake, a real roof rack, it fits all my gear, good mpg

Cons: Rusting....... thats it

Joel writes:
Appearance:
Overall:

Does The Job. — good car overall, although not holding up as well as the hondas I owned before. Two things that annoy me with this car are: why don't the doors close properly? If you try to close them normally they don't seem to click properly, so you end up having to slam the door. Why are the door locks on the top of the door? That's where your elbow goes. Drives well but its obviously not a sports car.

Pros: good cheap pretty reliable

Cons: not as solid as previous hondas

Da writes:
Appearance:
Overall:

Mazda Protege5 — Bought off lease, been great so far. Very hard suspension for stock setup, planning to upgrade tires and suspension. The engine really aches for the 5spd manual, but the 4spd auto has manumatic shift. It's small and light, and very fun to run around in the city, but because of the 4sp, struggles a bit on farmside rural passing. Planning to keep it till it dies as a winter car when I get something faster for the summer. It's very cheap to run because of it's 2.0L engine and light weight, and maintenance is only a bit more compared to corolla/civics. Well worth it.

Pros: Handles great, fun to drive around town, very reliable (built in Hiroshima), cheap to run.

Cons: Needs a turbo like the Mazdaspeed Protege.

Christopher writes:
Appearance:
Overall:

Love/hate Of My Most Precious/hated Possession — I loved my car up until my irresponsible sister drove it through a puddle the size of Lake Superior and when she made my car think it was stronger than a bucket in the middle of the road. The bucket won... The part I find most interesting about my car is how it can fit nearly all of my sister's things and mine in 1 trip and still get over 30mpg. Here's a picture of it before my sister got her hands on it.

Karl writes:
Appearance:
Overall:

Has Been Fun And Reliable — Thats a good combo. Been across the country, delivered newspapers, and never a major repair, outside of general service

Pros: good mph, good looking, fun to drive

Cons: tires are little on the pricey side, could really use a turbo version

Robert writes:
Appearance:
Overall:

Fun To Drive, Economical, Unexpectedly Roomy, Slightly Noisy — Overall I've been very happy with this car, its a good mixture of characteristics that produce a car thats easy to live with day-to-day.

Pros: Manual is fun to drive, especially well balanced handling

Cons: Somewhat noisy, especially roadnoise from default tires.

Patrick writes:
Appearance:
Overall:

Pay The Extra 2k And Get A Mazdaspeed Protege — bad acceleration, bad (AT) transmission, cheap all around, not bad looking, good small-mazda like handling

Pros: good handling

Cons: SLOWWW

2003 Mazda Protege5Review
Darlene writes:
Overall:

Zoom Zoom Zoom, Fun To Drive — Sporty tap shift, great acceleration, love the interior,spacious.Fully loaded , with tinted windows.

Pros: excellent in the snow, lots of room for trips on the rd. love the options

Cons: none

Displaying 21 - 30 of 2003 Mazda Protege5 30 reviews.

2002 Mazda Protege5 Reviews

Review By Guru9Z2ZV6

The Mazda Protege5 (2002 & 2003) is one of the most underrated cars available in the market. It is lighter, but with more horsepower than a VW Golf of the same vintage. Features like the anti-sway b... Read More

Zoom Zoom By Guinness5

It is simply fun to drive. Tight corners, aggressive gearing, and low to the ground. Not great for baby car seats or driving adults in the back seats. As the car aged, it got a little louder on the h... Read More

Cars compared to 2003 Mazda Protege5

Protege5

Looking for a Used Protege5 in your area?

CarGurus has 9 nationwide Protege5 listings and the tools to find you a great deal.

Have you driven a 2003 Mazda Protege5?