Have you driven a 2003 Mazda Protege5?

Displaying 11 - 20 of 2003 Mazda Protege5 20 reviews.

Eric writes:
Appearance:
Overall:

Good Car For Small Family — all performance is good except acceleration. no problems very reliable. looks good fun to drive mileage so so at 31 mpg would like higher. build quality is good on par for japanese cars. interior is very good lots of good options

Pros: handles great

Cons: not so speedy off the line

Dave writes:
Appearance:
Overall:

Laser Blue Pro5 — This car was great, just reminded me too much of the economy car of which is was based. It was peppy and fun to drive. The engine provided adequate power which was enough for such a small car. I loved the colour of Laser blue and I had the Tiptronic sport tranny which i enjoyed using.

Pros: Fun to drive, Economical, Good space, reliable

Cons: Cheap options

Luca writes:
Appearance:
Overall:

Mazda Protegé5 Review —

Generally, the Mazda Protegé5 is an all-around decent looking, economical, car; that is, if you’re into hatchback, 4 cylinder automobiles. Looks wise, at the time that it was built/sold—even now—the Mazda Protegé5 looks good, from its front front-end to its back-end, and as you walk around this car, you can easily pinpoint its unique styling; with its distinct huge fog lamps, which swallows fog in one whole shot. The back is nice too; with its robust bumper and slick door design. Interior wise, I can say that the Mazda Protegé5’s passable; they didn’t exaggerate too much on the detail of the interior, but at the same time they didn’t leave anything out. Furthermore, on the down side, the Mazda Protegé5’s engine lacks its edge, vigor, and thrust to fulfill the true driving experience—handling is good—but the Mazda Protegé5 just lacks in power, with it’s 134hp engine, I think it is. My point is, if you’re looking for a car with some balls, then this car won’t be suitable for you, unless you put some balls into it, but if you’re looking for an economical, city to country family car, with a sexy, youthful look, then this car is for you.

Pros: Look’s Good

Cons: Lacks in Power

Arthur writes:
Appearance:
Overall:

Mazda Protege 5 — This car is probably one best cars I have ever bought. It's a Japanese car so the reliability is second to none. I got the sport automatic (wife not a fan of manual gear boxes) so you can get the revs up into the power band. I only wish it had a fifth gear.

Pros: Reliability and handeling

Cons: Lack of a fifth gear

Gianpaolo writes:
Appearance:
Overall:

P5 Best Car Ever — Awesome in every way. Great selection of aftermarket everything. Turbo helps with the get-up-and-go! Practical, fun, good looking, cheap, and it's a Mazda... What else could you want from a car? Hope everyone gets a chance to drive one someday.

Pros: Everything

Cons: Nothing

Stef writes:
Appearance:
Overall:

The Little Yellow Bus. — It's a mostly stock yellow short bus basically. I call it a "SPORT WAGON". It is decently fast for a four cylinder. It's great on gas and responds quickly. But, I am a speed demon and like my cars fast. Too bad this one is not so much.

Pros: It's bright yellow and unique inside and out.

Cons: It's a four-cylinder.

2003 Mazda Protege5Review
Konrad writes:
Appearance:
Overall:

Mazda Protege5 — Considering this is an entry level car, Mazda did a great job on it. For the life of the car I have never had anything break down on it. It was nicely styled and I received many compliments on it's looks. It had a nice and firm suspension and handled very nicely on the twisty roads. Power was average, but with the 5-speed manual, it was a lot of fun to drive. It handled all weather conditions well and had lot's of room to haul things and put smaller family members in. The interior was nicely designed; especially liked all the gauges in red. The biggest negatives about the car are the sound system (really could have used a better one), more power would have been nice, and a good looking coupe would have been a nice choice instead of a hatchback if it had been available, seeing as I really don't much care for the sedan styling.

Pros: looks, handling, practicality

Cons: stereo, hatchback, power

Chris writes:
Appearance:
Overall:

03 Mazda Protege 5 — My '03 Mazda handles like a much higher-end car. Its quite tight and responsive, with surprising power for a 4-cylinder engine. The factory stabilizer bar really adds to its handling. The exterior is as sharp as it ever was. I have always liked the eye-catching design, and the Laser Blue Mica color is still one of my faves. As the car has aged a bit, I notice some of the interior finishes not holding up as well as they should. However, Mazda has done a great job in upgrading interior materials in their more recent models. A couple of annoying and potentially expensive things have popped up, i.e. a bum airbag sensor and a sprung seat belt latch. Other than that I have spent next to nothing on this car other than normal maintenance. For my next car I plan to upgrade either to the CX-7 or CX-9.

Pros: handling, appearance

Cons: road noise

Justin writes:
Appearance:
Overall:

My P5 — According to Fairbanks Mazda, i was the first Lazer Blue Protege 5 owner in South Florida. Now, years later and living in Vermont, i still have my P5 and love it with every new day. This is my 5th Mazda and still proud. Never any issues, tons of mileage, and they all purr like a kitten. The reason for new Mazda's is the awesome looks and style. Though, have not plans to get rid of my P5 anytime soon....

Pros: Looks, reliability, gas, control,

Cons: The clunk, OEM paint job

Joe writes:
Appearance:
Overall:

I Love My Little Speedy Yellow Car! — I love this car. It's fast enough to get my kicks in and it can hold ALL my guitar equipment so its just the right size. It gets 27-40 mpg depending on how aggresive I drive. Also the clutch is really stiff which I love so much. It is rusting but I can't complain because it still performs.

Pros: Fast, stiff clutch, great handling, great brake, a real roof rack, it fits all my gear, good mpg

Cons: Rusting....... thats it

Displaying 11 - 20 of 2003 Mazda Protege5 20 reviews.

2002 Mazda Protege5 Reviews

Review By Guru9Z2ZV6

The Mazda Protege5 (2002 & 2003) is one of the most underrated cars available in the market. It is lighter, but with more horsepower than a VW Golf of the same vintage. Features like the anti-sway b... Read More

Zoom Zoom By Guinness5

It is simply fun to drive. Tight corners, aggressive gearing, and low to the ground. Not great for baby car seats or driving adults in the back seats. As the car aged, it got a little louder on the h... Read More

Protege5

Looking for a Used Protege5 in your area?

CarGurus has 9 nationwide Protege5 listings starting at $6,995.

Have you driven a 2003 Mazda Protege5?