2003 Mazda MAZDASPEED Protege User Reviews

Have you driven a 2003 Mazda MAZDASPEED Protege?

Displaying 21 - 24 of 24 2003 Mazda MAZDASPEED Protege reviews.

Overall:

Most Fun You'll Have With Your Clothes On, Though I'm Not Complaining If Your Naked! — This car beat the Porsche 911 on the slalomn course right off the show room floor!!!! Show me another vehicle you can buy for about $20,000 that looks, handles and performs as well as this does....please!

Pros: Crazy fast, reliable, factory suspension that will never be matched by another vehicle of it's class and of course my favourite part.... THE TURBO!!!!!!!!!!

Cons: Cops and the rediculous amount of time and money spent on the car

Bad Attitude —

Ok, so I scouted this car out for a couple of years after the first one I bought was stolen while I was in Iraq (it had 103miles on it before I left). I finally found an 03.5 MSP for about $12K. No big deal right? I drive it home and start to examine my ride and found that oil was leaking from the turbo to intercooler PLASTIC piping. Luckily, she was still under warranty until April of 07. Got her fixed. Then a week later, she went in for rear sway bar bushings. Then that weak 8" sub blew. They were willing to replace it. They had to "order" it from Kenwood? Bull! Kenwood had to make another one. Do they really sell 8" subs? Anyways, after all those trips to the dealership for repairs, I asked them to pull repair records from the previous owners... OMG! Come to find out, the motor was replaced @ 22k and the turbo I was running was only about 3 months old and was the 3rd replacement since new... DRIVING: Did they really just hook a turbine up to a motor and not tune it? Yes they did. WOW! I guess it works, but not for long... The turbine doesnt blow off any steam, so the air is recirculated back into the system, overworking the turbine. Cheap motor mounts. No boost until 3500rpm, so highway driving is horrible, nevermind fuel economy. I have to wear a glove on my right hand. The shift knob is either ice cold or burning hot. The windsheild glass is cheap. I bought the first one while I was stationed in CA. I'm out now and live in New England. So I do my best not to get behind the salt/ sand trucks when the snow comes. I think it's great for city driving, but you will BURN some fuel trying to pass someone on the highway because you have to downshift. I learn something new about my radio EVERY DAY (its been six moths). It has many buttons... that all have a dual, sometimes tripple function. Geesh. This was a good concept. I think they made good with the MS3 for 07. I love this car, but while I was looking for this one, I was driving a Jetta 1.8T. Night and day, right. That VW was a brick wall and there was never a need to downshift while trying to pass someone on the highway. Those are NOT bucket seats. And she runs sooooo rich.

Owner for 0 years, 7 months

Miles Driven per Year:15,000

Pros: Color(titanium)wheels, Short shifter, Handling, superior in city traffic

Cons: Needs real bucket seats, needs to be tuned at the factory, BOV, Better exhaust, bigger turbo, heavier doors

Overall:

2003.5 — I love the look and handling of the car, it is under powered and has stereo issues

Owner for 3 years, 6 months

Miles Driven per Year:10,000

Overall:

My Mazdaspeed Protege 03.5 — stylish, fun , sporty and the heart of my zoom-zoom. Great stereo. turbo needs to be boosted up a bit. but the handling is excellent. Low profile stock racing heart rims, wrx style rear wing! 1st year mazdaspeed was intoduced. I also own a 2010 mazdaspeed 3. Just love them! Zoom-Zoom

Pros: suspention is great for cornering!

Cons: Needs more power!

Displaying 21 - 24 of 24 2003 Mazda MAZDASPEED Protege reviews.

Cars compared to 2003 Mazda MAZDASPEED ProtegePeople researching a 2003 Mazda MAZDASPEED Protege contacted a dealer about

MAZDASPEED Protege

Looking for a Used MAZDASPEED Protege in your area?

CarGurus has 11 nationwide MAZDASPEED Protege listings and the tools to find you a great deal.

Have you driven a 2003 Mazda MAZDASPEED Protege?