2001 Ford Explorer Sport User Reviews

Have you driven a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport?

Displaying 21 - 26 of 26 2001 Ford Explorer Sport reviews.

2001 Ford Explorer SportReview
Appearance:
Overall:

Too Top Heavy! — this car isn't that bad.. its just its too top heavy.. for the snowy areas in the north

Pros: v6 6.0L

Cons: its top heavy

Explorer Sport

Looking for a Used Explorer Sport in your area?

CarGurus has 195 nationwide Explorer Sport listings starting at $1,488.

Appearance:
Overall:

Just Ok — I have had this car for four years now, and although I don't hate it, I don't love it either. This may just be personal preference, but I think that the only cars that should have two doors are cars with only two seats. It is inconvenient for adults to climb into and out of the back seat of this car. Also, the ride is not very smooth at all. You feel every single bump in the road, which I suppose could be expected from an SUV built on a truck chassis. On a positive note, the car has been very reliable. It now has almost 100k miles, and I have had no major problems. Around 80-85k, I had to replace a sensor that was about $300, and the original battery lasted about as long. Other than that, I've only had to perform normal maintenance. I think I would purchase another Explorer, just not the Sport.

Owner for 4 years, 2 months

Miles Driven per Year:15,000

Pros: reliable, comfortable seats, lots of cargo space

Cons: 2 doors, rough ride, leather wears down on driver's side from getting in and out so much

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WDReview
Appearance:
Overall:

Does Anyone Know How To Improve The Suspension And Ride Quality In This Vehicle? — The vehicle has many positive attributes and gets pretty good gas mileage which is a big plus. But the overall ride quality is akin to riding on a rock going down the road. Everytime I encounter anything on the pavement surface, the vehicle pounds on the road like the suspension had been stolen and sold for scrap metal. Does anyone know how I might be able to make some adjustments to improve comfort and overall ride quality in my Sport?

Owner for 7 years, 0 months

Miles Driven per Year:10,500

Appearance:
Overall:

Nice Suv For The Money —

Bought this 4 wheel drive Explorer Sport used for a winter trip to Colorado, and kept it for two years afterwards. It was formerly an executive vehicle with a rental company, meaning it was not a daily rental, so it looked and ran showroom new when I found it on a Ford dealer's lot. It had the dreaded Firestone tires, which were replaced with brand new Goodyear Wrangler's at the Ford dealer, since it was still under the new car warranty. This vehicle had the 4.0 litre overhead cam V6, which impressed me, much more so than the 4 litre OHV V6 in my 1993 Explorer. It had enough power to easily maintain speed on hills and long grades and the trip to Colorado was an easy one. The interior was the standard bucket seats which were manually adjustable and reasonably comfortable. The 4 speed automatic transmission was smooth and no problems shifting; the 4 wheel drive easily tackled snow in Colorado, both in high and low ranges, although we really didn't need the low range in any area. Interior space is good in front; access to the rear is by folding the front seats forward and climbing into the rear, somewhat of a task for older adults or women in skirts or dresses, especially considering this combined with the higher door sills. Once in, rear seat comfort is acceptable, unless you are a tall adult in which case you would lilkely be uncomfortable. We didn't have the nerf bar running boards which I didlike, since I found they get your clothes dirty getting in and out, and, if you go off-roading, tend to get hung up on the oddest things. I did install Ford OEM fog lights and tow hooks though and the fog lights were a blessing in the early morning fog. There is adequate cargo space with the rear seats folded down, but this is a 2 door, and lacks much of the cargo space of the 4 door. If you need the greater cargo space in cubic feet, the 4 door is the way to go. The ride in the Sport 2 door is choppier than the 4 door due to the shorter wheelbase. Not uncomfortable, but I would say choppy. The difference, however, between the Firestore and Wrangler tires was night and day. The Wranglers made the vehicle handle as close to a 4 door ride as anything I've driven, while the Firestones made it feel like a bronco at feeding time. Tires can make a world of difference on these vehicles, as can proper inflation, etc.

Owner for 2 years, 0 months

Miles Driven per Year:8,000

Pros: Small, easy to handle for the family, low cost option to 4 door, great value for a 4x4

Cons: Somewhat choppy ride, less cargo space than the 4 door

Interior Noise:
Snow/Ice:
Visibility:
Overall:

Love It! — Didnt dislike anything. The only thing that remotely would come close to dislike woulf be, it didnt come with an ask tray. That it! Otherwise, I truly love this vehical! It was my black beauty. Sharp looking, kicking sound system, power sun/moon roof, running boards, lugage rack, fog lamps, cruise, big ass wheels/tires, road nice & drove even better! :~)

Pros: That SUV went through the deepest snow with out any problem. Until the snow would be deeper/higher then the frame of the truck.  Then it would get hung up, Not actually stuck!  Good sound system, stock options were good.  Man I loved that truck!

Cons: I was the negitive.  I didnt keep up with the mantinance over some years due to I worked from home.  Once I found out the list of things I had negected over the years, I couldnt afford to have it road worthy & safe enough for me to drive it 90 miles to work & back.

Accessories:
Appearance:
Battery Life:
Daily Commute:
Snow/Ice:
Visibility:
Warranty:
Weight:
Overall:

Ford Explorer Sport 2dr. Awd — I love that custom paintjobs look good on it. The V6 engine just keeps going when at full throttle. It's not too bad on gas, fun to drive because it's small but not to small. The AWD could go but it's good for winter conditions. With a lift and tires and many accessories this would be a bad ass truck.

Pros: Small, monoverable, fun to drive. I already pulled the V6 and dropped a V8 in it. Lifted on 35" tires

Cons: Awd doesn't let you burn-out

Displaying 21 - 26 of 26 2001 Ford Explorer Sport reviews.

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Reviews

Great Suv And Is Well Rounded For All Driving Activities By Mitch

been a great suv. really reliable and drives great. 4.0L V6 gets good gas milage. Has had only one fit and finish problem with the console lid. I think it looks great inside and out! Friends dislike g... Read More

Acceleration By Daniel

it's the best ford suv, because brings a 4.0l engine, the top speed its limitated to 140km/h but the acceleration is so agresive, it's very confortable to drive and, in off road tracks it has a very... Read More

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Reviews

Its A Ford, So Cheap Parts By Dustin

4.0 big block v6....and for a suv...it will move out. Cant wait to be done spending money on it...........got ALOT of room in the back for a two door suv, and plenty of room for subs..wish there was a... Read More

Small Sporty Suv, Great For Off Roading (4wd) Or "pimping" (2wd) By Alberto

This SUV is pretty good. I enjoy driving it. It is actually quite fast too. Believe it or not, i have beat a Mitsubishi Lancer once, that was cool. Another cool thing about this truck is its ability t... Read More

Cars compared to 2001 Ford Explorer SportPeople researching a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport contacted a dealer about

Explorer Sport

Looking for a Used Explorer Sport in your area?

CarGurus has 195 nationwide Explorer Sport listings starting at $1,488.

Have you driven a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport?