1983 Renault Alliance User Reviews

Have you driven a 1983 Renault Alliance?

Displaying all 3 1983 Renault Alliance reviews.

Overall:

Yikes! — Avoid this car at all costs...

Pros: The Alliance was incredibly good-looking for 1983.  European styling -- looked a little like a Mercedes of that era.  Very comfortable interior -- (I had the Motor Trend Ltd. Ed.) -- 6 speaker stereo, good sound system, lots of leg room, 5-speed manual transmission --  metallic charcoal grey with a camel cloth interior -- a real head turner.

Cons: Wow -- this car was the worst purchase that I've ever made.  I was 'upgrading' from a Chevy Chevette -- so you know how bad that was.  Lasted exactly 4 years -- made my final payment and it died -- permanently.  Everything went at once, starting with the timing belt, exhaust system, engine seized up, etc, etc...Took it to several garages (the dealership had closed by then) and got the same answer -- "we don't know what's wrong with your car."  It would stall out and not restart -- the worst time was at the entrance of a tunnel, on a major highway, in the fast lane, at rush hour.  Got to hear all about it on the wonderful stereo system radio -- as the drivers cursed me out as they drove by.  The car sat in our garage for 2 years until I was able to sell it for $250, for parts -- and could do nothing but smile as they towed it away.

Alliance

Looking for a Used Alliance in your area?

CarGurus has thousands of nationwide listings and the tools to find you a great deal.

Appearance:
Overall:

None — I liked the fuel economy but the car broke down after three months. all around performance was week. I spent more on repairs than I spent on the car and the car only had 80,000 miles on it at the time.

Pros: fuel economy

Cons: durability

Overall:

Car With Alot Of Drama — When I bought the Renault Alliance at some point after graduating high school, little did I know that I would be doing alot of walking. When I went to the auction block and bidded on the Renault Alliance, I bought it for cheap and became the only person in the Washington DC area driving such vehicle. I never saw another Renault Alliance on the road. This car had faded paint that indicated to one mechanic who told me he thinks the car caught fire at one time. The Renault left me stranded on the side of the road many, many times. The radiator would overheat, the alternator wouldn't charge, the belts were corroding. I had to carry an extra bottle of antifreeze and water just to keep the car from bubbling over every few miles. The worst times were being stranded in DC, at night, in the ghettos, on the highways, freeways, dark places and wait for the car to cool down. When it fizzed, it was like the geysers of Yellowstone Park. After a about a year of endurance and lots of walking, I got into an accident when the brakes failed to react fast enough on a bright sunny, hot day on I395; my first accident. The accident was terrible not for what you think. I barely tapped the Honda in front of me. Of course the Renault crumpled like a piece of paper, there was no damage on the Honda, but the lady pretended her back, neck, butt was hurting. Insurance had a field day on my account.

Pros: it was cheap when i bought it

Cons: everything

Displaying all 3 1983 Renault Alliance reviews.

Have you driven a 1983 Renault Alliance?