Performance chip for wrx

Biplaneman
0

Asked by Biplaneman Feb 02, 2012 at 08:11 PM about the 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon

do the performance chips really make more HP and better MPG and are they "hard" on the
engine.

Brian Dombroski
235

Engine Management (EM) (e.g. Cobb AccessPORT, a ProTune, or Tactrix cable tune, etc.) won't hurt your car if done/used properly. For instance, when I started using the AccessPORT, I started with Cobb's off the shelf (OTS) Stage 1 map since I had nothing modified on the car except an intake. This gave only a slight increase in HP but greatly improved throttle response and acceleration in in the lower gears making daily driving much more enjoyable. It also resulted in better mileage (21-23 City/29-31 Highway) in my '07. This actually improved the wear and tear on my engine by optimizing it's performance. When I made the appropriate modifications and used Cobb's OTS Stage 2 map, I noticed much more HP and TQ throughout all of the gears but fuel efficiency remained the same. For an even more noticeable (HP and TQ gain), I will have it professionally tuned using my AccessPORT...a ProTune. Knowledgeable people can tune the ECU's themselves, but I stress the word knowledgeable since it is easy to damage your car if you don't know what you're doing.

Larry Larsen
195

^well put