check engine light with flashing cruise control light

submom
120

Asked by submom Oct 29, 2011 at 02:08 PM about the 2005 Subaru Forester XS

Checked codes at Auto Zone:  catalyst efficiency low-bank 1 probably cause: CC failure possibly due to: (1) engine misfire or running condition (2) large vacuum leak (3) engine oil leakage into exhaust-valve guide, seals, piston rings.
Less than 52K mis -- shouldn't be CC, right?  Likeliest cause?  A mechanic said they'd have to due a smoke test, service meter, and induction test (for $70 each).  Also said there are 3 CCs on the Forester.  Any suggestions would be welcome.  

submom
120

I found an answer on another post. This seems to be an ongoing problem for the Forester. People have had lots of work done at Subaru without fixing the issue. I'm going to try to following suggestion: plug in MAF sensor after replacing air filter with an after market. Unplug battery for 1/2 hour. If that doesn't work, I'll try replacing the oxygen sensor and resetting the computer.

albalegume
285

Two foresters 06 and 08, both do this periodically, engine and check cruise control lights. Dealer can find nothing, they stay on for awhile then go out after a couple weeks. I ignore it now. Nothing has happened to the cars since. The 06 did it within a year of buying the car, the 08 started within about the same time period.

dianala62
180

2005 forester, just recently had blinking cruise, solid lit CEL, going into dealership this week, posts were extremely helpful to a single, 62 year old female, THANKS...will post outcome, and if not guaranteed to resolve issue, will take advice and do nothing...when I did call dealership, they did say "no worry" if CEL is solid and not blinking as if they are quite familiar with this sort of problem...will post at later date..Diana

Scott Malefyt
225

My 2007 Forester had CEL come on with blinking cruise (and cruise dosn't work either) about 35 miles after i filled up at a non-mainstream gas station. I turned to the owners manual and i guess the Forester can be picky. The manual (see 7-2 in 2007 owners manual) states that some gas stations put an "...octane-enhancing additive called MMT (Methylcyclopentadienyl Manganese Tricarbonyl). If you use such fuels, your emission control system performance may deteriorate and the CHECK ENGINE warning light/Malfunction indicator lamp may turn on." That being said, i currently have a FULL tank of crappy gas...does any have a recommendation of what kind of additive i should put in to make the gas better.

fastrunner
180

not sure if this will help anyone but our 2007 2.5 turbo had the blinking cruise light and engine light on. we have found out its the fuel cap, it has a small sensor on it, and when released to put fuel in and replaced it can set the lights off up to a day later?? yes the forester can be picky

NotHappyJan
30

I had the same issue with my 07. $5200 later it was rectified. Bent valves, compression leak.... The list went on. apparently its a know fault with is model. Anyone else in the same boat??

Jeff Smith
1,225

Bent valves? That really only occurs if the timing skips, and is not common at all.

jmarie220
90

Glad to report that the solid check engine and the blinking cruise lights shut off this morning. Three days of anxiety over! Thanks for this forum and the above answers. Undoubtedly saved me hundreds of dollars. The dealers here in South Jersey just love to take us for a ride.

jasmina
40

jmarie220, how? how did it turn off? it bugs me for months now, the computer has allegedly detected secondary air pump error. when replaced, it was off for some 200 km, then went on again. (same thing - cruise blinking , CEL constantly lit). i do have gas built in on my 2.0 2006 forester, though, with oil droppers (maybe it is another expression, but lubricating the valves)

Madison02
60

I have a 2006 Forrester L L Bean model and the check engine light went on causing the cruise to blink. Young Subaru charged me for hundreds of dollars for DX could nt fix it, after $900.00 worth of work, problem still persists. Now my headlights and tail lights stay on even when the car is off....frustrated. Have to disconnect battery to turn them off, anyone have any ideas?

Jeff Smith
1,225

Did you check the parking light on top of your steering column?

Madison02
60

I was cleaning around that area yesterday, I didn't realize there was a switch there. I went out connected the battery and checked the switch and fixed the problem. I don't know why you would use them, I never have cos I didn't know I had them. I'm not blonde I'm a red head......lol. THANK YOU all who helped me with this question you were all helpful!

Jeff Smith
1,225

No problem, that's a rite of passage for every new Subaru owner.

Noynek
160

I too had the Check Engine Light/Cruise Control flashing problem happen on my 2009 Forester. My yellow traction control light (squiggly tire marks behind car) also comes on. I went to a tiny garage in east Tennessee and they guy did a diagnostic and said that it is caused when you haven't had an oil/filter change in over 7000 miles or so (he checked a "code" database to find out). He changed my oil and reset the computer. All better. Then 7000 miles later (I drive a lot and sometimes miss my oil changes), the same thing happened. Got the oil changed again and reset the computer, fixed again! Happened a third time and again got it fixed, but this time they forgot to reset the computer. Lights came back on quickly, but I went back and they reset the computer and all has been fine. Since I've had my oil changed regularly, no repeats of the problem.

Subaru_Jim
75

Ii has to be something with the transmission or front differential fluid from what I can tell. I've had it happen many times, and it has gone away on its own in some cases, but other times, the "fix' was to add fluid. The first time it happened, I had parked my car sideways on a steep hill for a couple weeks. Shortly after leaving, the car bucked and heaved if I accelerated too much, and those lights came on. Since then, I have had it happen after long periods without any problem when I hit the accelerator hard for whatever reason. My only remaining questions are (1) is it the transmission fluid or differential, and (2) why is it getting "low"?

albalegume
285

My 2008 just stopped running 1 month ago. It continually had these lights come on when driving over 100 miles at a time on the interstate. Then it would jerk when accelerating. When it died, it jerked and just lost power. For a 2008 it should have lasted much longer and was regular maintained.

subidoo
60

I don't think there's an easy answer. My 2009 Forester does this intermittently (CEL, blinking CC, TCL stays on). The number of possibilities listed in this forum tells me there's a lot of things that could be involved, but no single consistent finding. I've maintained the vehicle properly & it runs fine; I've quit worrying about it.

Dallas_Subaru
80

A 10mm wrench, undo negative battery terminal. Wait 5 min. Reconnect, turn switch to run, but do not start. Wait about a minute while fuel injection brings pressure back on line. Start car. May have to crank it a bit. Reset radio and cruise on. Repeat as necessary.

Subaru_Jim
75

OK.. one more time.. I found that I had overfilled both the transmission and front differential. I brought both back to the right level and still had the idiot lights come back on. FINALLY, it occurred to me that I haven't changed the oil filter in a while, and changed that. BINGO! Lights out!!

Tanya Vanderhoeven
20

I have a 2005 Subaru Impreza, Solid CEL and blinking CC light, cruise does not work. I've had the oil changed regularly. 143K. AutoZone gave me an error code of #2937. It's running just fine. I change the spark plugs. They needed changing anyways. No change. Dash light still on. Will unhook battery and see what happens - for now - black electrical tape covers annoying lights.

Jeff Smith
1,225

The code 2937 is not a valid code, I would have them check it again. A word of warning on the check engine light: that same light is used for minor as well as major issues. If you get used to ignoring it and a major issue comes up, you won't catch it in time and can do damage to the engine. Much like the poster several posts up who had a check engine light and then the car simply "stopped running." The light is triggered for a reason.

Tanya Vanderhoeven
20

But Jeff, it says right on the little ticket they handed me - #2937. And it says OEM number to Po420. Is that the correct code? It also says - Catlyst efficiency below threshold bank 1, prob cause rich a/f ratio, ignition system malfunction, faulty catalytic converter. Thank you for the help and advice.

jmarie220
90

My 2007 Forester CE light turned on for a third time in a year a few weeks ago. I checked the code with a device I purchased from Amazon. Turns out it was "engine misfire." Took it to a reliable local mechanic; oil was leaking into one of the cylinders. They couldn't get the valve cover off (?), and they now have to approach the problem from underneath. I'm at $748 and counting, but it will probably be near $900 before they are done. Car only has 77K miles on it...bummer. Can bad gas start this cascade?

BenBen7
10

I get in on a acceleration up a tight on ramp - not sure if its the incline or hard turn with the acceleration. It'll turn off after 3 starts w/o doing it again. Always worth checking your oil level and for any loose tubes, ducts, wires when you get lights on.

JMM111
50

From what I understand, this is common with Foresters, 2005 on. The first time this happened I panicked! Had local mechanic change oil, since it was about 1000 miles overdue, which made sense. Problem solved. Three days later CEL solid, and CC flashing light returned. I returned to local mechanic, and he reset. He told me if this happens again, I have to take it to the Subaru dealer, to fix. He said my engine was in good running shape, and drivability was also fine. The reason is, only a Subaru dealer can communicate with main console, to find the source of the problem. Since my Subaru dealer "rips me off", every time I take my car in, I will take my chances if the problem re occurs. If the CEL light goes from solid to blinking, then you really have a problem. Stay Tuned!

You think this is helpful.
RobsSubaru
30

My 07 Outback has 136K miles on it. For the past year the cc light starts flashing, and CEL illuminates intermittently. Except for 1 time when this ouccured when accellerating from a stop, the problem consistently occurs when travelling at hwy speed and while using cruise control. However, it doesn't happen every time I use the cruise control. The dealer read the code and then replaced the mass air flow sensor. That didn't work, so they replaced the same sensor again. I got tired of paying for the same repair so now I just carry a wrench with me to disconnect the battery terminal to reset the code. This happens about once a month for the year. There does not seem to be amy other performance problems with the car. Any suggestions?

ginapineapple
20

2006 LLBean Forester with 75k, properly maintained. My CEL is solid, CC flashing for 5 days. Car runs great. The dealer wanted 400 to replace the MAF and I walked away. Reading up on it and going to see this fixes itself over time. I was ALSO told at my last oil change a few months back that both head gaskets were starting to leak and I needed to replace at a cost of $1600. Again, this car drives fine. No misfires, obvious leaks, or spikes in temp. I'm just keeping an eye on the car and my wallet. I might disconnect the battery and see if the lights return. Great thread, thank you!

JMM111
50

In reading above answers, I have concluded there is no common denominator that causes CEL solid/CC blinking. Looks like even Subaru dealers don't have definite answer. I, like I think some here, am afraid to take my 2005 forester back to the dealer's service department. They will charge me a lot of money, and it only might, fix the problem? We all have paid good money for our Subaru's, and they are good cars, but should not have to deal with a glitch like this! We should not have to be traveling with wrenches to dis connect our batteries, at least not for the $$$ we paid. Unfortunately, I am pessimistic, that Subaru, would do much to fix this glitch, but sometimes going to the top works. See below. Subaru of America Inc. has named Tomomi Nakamura as CEO effective April 1, taking over from Takeshi Tachimori. Tachimori will return to Japan, where he will be responsible for global sales, including those in the United States, for Subaru's parent company, Fuji Heavy Industries. Subaru of America names Nakamura CEO - Automotive News www.autonews.com/.../subaru-of-america-names-nakamu... Automotive News

You think this is helpful.
Noynek
160

It appears to happen when the oil gets low. It happened again to my 2009 forester and the mechanic said I was low on oil. He reset the computer and changed the oil. All better. I have 114K and minor head gasket leaks that don't affect compression. I spent $35 on an oil change and now I'm back in business.

Subaru_Jim
75

OK... now some time has passed since I *simply* changed oil filters, and I have had no more problems So THAT was the answer - at least for my car. I suspect that there are other things that could cause this, but a clogged, dirty, or poorly designed oil filter that impedes oil flow might be the ridiculously simple cause for most of us. The oil pressure must be monitored after the oil filter, and if its too low, on come the lights. CERTAINLY it is such an easy and cheap fix that everyone should try it before spending hundred$ at some shop for some "repair" that does no good at all.

obare
0

I had the same problem, I unplugged the battery for about 20 minutes, then plugged it back, then opened the fuel cap and closed it. Started the engine and let it run for about 10 minutes (the CEL and CC lights were still on), then switched of the engine and switched it on and the problem has disappeared. When opening the fuel cap, it looked like it had not been tightened properly, so I dont know which worked, that is, unplugging the battery or opening and closing the fuel cap.

Aannddrreeww Wootten
30

Subaru Forester 2007. I didn't have the lights "problem" UNTIL I changed my oil today, and, as always, a brand new oil filter. It is topped off properly, full. However, maybe I did too MUCH maintenance? I also changed the air filter, transmission fluid, and its filter. Have I taxed the system too heavily? Since reading some of the above comments (THANK YOU ALL! I came here FIRST!), I have gone back and checked, double-checked, all fluid levels, and re-seated the housing for the air filter. And lastly checked the gas cap. I also filled from about 1/4 tank, to full, with premium gas. (I do that on every oil change as well) I have never seen the light combo as mentioned in previous posts. I, too, have the flashing CC light and steady CEL. I now have the battery unplugged, and will leave it so about a half hour from what I have read. I will comment again about the end result.

Aannddrreeww Wootten
30

(Well, I was merely going to append my previous comment, but that function is not present.) I waited the 30 minutes, unscrewed the gas cap, re-seated it firmly, turned the ignition key to ACC, but did not start the care. Waited about a minute (the flashing CC light was gone, but the steady CEL remained) (interesting, the radio's display flashed "SYSTEM CHECK" non-stop...), then turned the key and started the car. All lights were gone/normal display! Again, thank you for all the helpful comments. Perhaps after doing my own oil changes, I will remove the negative battery terminal cable for the duration. I'll check back in about 4,000 miles. ;) Or comment if it pops up sooner.

Grubbles1966
10

Same is happening to our 06 Subaru Forester - flashing CC and solid CEL. Our car manual indicates that its a sign the CC has been deactivated... that all. That's why the car still runs fine and no specific fault can be identified. You can inactivate the cruise control by pushing the CC on button or lever as you turn the engine on. Apparently you can reactivate it by turning off and doing the same again. This has worked for me a couple of times - but not now. It won't do it. The car manual is a little vague about this - but perhaps Aannddrreeww's method is the 'key' (pun intended!). Has anyone experience a situation where, by ignoring the flashing CC and solid CEL that the car has suddenly stopped working, failed to start a all, shuddered to a halt in the middle of the freeway or anything dramatic....? If not - then it may not have anything to do with oil, fuel or air at all. The car manual also says that the CEL should be flashing before you panic. Has anyone check the fuses for the CC system??

Chinafromboston
40

We did as some here advised..Disconnected neg battery terminal 20 min;reconnected battery then took off gas cap and 're closed it thoroughly(apparently if cap is not on properly it can trigger these lights) then reconnected battery put key in ignition turn key to " first"position but don't turn car on for a few minutes. Then turn car on.We Almost started crying when the cell and cc lights went off! THE FIRST TIME SOMEONE'S ADVICE worked!Good luck!

Christy McNulty
20

This works! I still can't believe it! Thank you EVERYONE!

2010frster
10

the cruise light flashes because the cruise doesn't work when the check engine light is on. This started happening to us after hitting the front bumper lightly into another vehicle. Turns out the outside air sensor is very sensitive to a bump and needed replaced. disconnecting the battery terminal will turn off the light temporarily but it will come back until the issue causing the the ce light is rectified.

ginapineapple
20

It's great to see so many people fixing this without spending crazy $$$$. My CC/CEL lights are still on after at least 5 weeks. Disconnecting the battery (plus gas cap off and on tightly) didn't work. Nor did fiddling with the CC switches on the dash. Next step is replacing the air filter. And if that fails I will replace the MAF myself rather than drop $400 that the dealer estimated. Blink on!

GPfeffermann
30

This happened to me both with my 07 WRX and 06 Forester. Thanks to the reader's contribution, I disconnected the battery for a half hour or so, then re-connected it, and lo and behold, the problem has been solved. :-)

You think this is helpful.
Englishwanderer
0

I just brought my 2009 turbo xt forester into dealer for constant check engine light with ABS lit as well as flashing cc. Was told I would need a new air pump for $1100 - $125 diagnostic fee I was charged today. 75k miles. Didn't have it done...thinking it might be time to sell. Any advice?

ginapineapple
20

125 diagnostic fee! Ouch. I dropped $47 at my dealership and am still kicking myself. Apparently autozone will run the codes for free. Interestingly, autozone's diag showed a different part that needed replacing (02 sensor, vs the MAF that the dealer said). Hard to know who to trust. Read the whole thread - disconnecting the battery for a time and retightening the gas cap has worked for many people. Good luck.

You think this is helpful.
GPfeffermann
30

See my post above. First time I disconnected/reconnected battery, the problem disappeared but then reappeared. I repeated disconnect/reconnect, and now everything runs normally for the past week.

JRLyons
0

Dallas Subaru guy... Brilliant!!! 10 mm wrench, disconnect negative pole, wait five minutes, reconnect negative pole, turn key on to maximum before it will crank the engine, wait one minute, turn key start engine! Voila!!! magnificent I love it when life works like that. Someone needs to take Dallas Subaru guy out for dinner and drinks!

GPfeffermann
30

Actually, I discovered that disconnecting the battery wipes out the computer data. I found this out when the car could not be tested for emissions control. After driving it around for a while, the flashing "cruise control" indicator + check engine re-appeard....

subidoo
60

If the problem(s) that caused the cel/cc/traction control lights to illuminate isn't fixed, disconnecting the battery & resetting the computer will only work temporarily. My 2009 Forester had an intermittent fault causing these lights to illuminate. Eventually the lights remained on continuously. Replacing the catalytic converter has resolved the problem.

pruettj
10

This is the greatest discussion. Like most of you, my cruise control light flashed, and the emergency light stayed on. Happened once before and I took it to the dealer. He said it was the gas cap. This time, I looked it up on line. I did as directed by some of you wonderful people--disconnected battery for 30 minutes, cleaned gas cap and area surrounding it, turned on accessories only for five minutes, and started the car. It worked perfectly. For how long this will last, I don't know, but I was pretty proud of myself. Thanks to everyone who wrote with suggestions.

lorneg
0

2005 Forester all your doing by disconecting the battery is resetting the code set.Which in turn resets the cruise control.it gets unusable if you get a check Engine light.You can buy a cheap OBD code reader that will reset your codes for $40.No good answer to the problems your all having.My experience with Subaru is that they like to replace expensive parts.When you unplug your battery it resets your codes.your car will need 3 starts to begin to run correctly as the computer has to relearn all the sensors. The OBD cose reader plugs in to a plug just under your steering wheel and takes ten seconds to reset your code.Oxygen sensors are famous for failing on many vehicles.If I will try anything it will be that. For now I just reset my code from time to time

AlwaysOn
0

Just had the same problem on my 08 Outback. After about a week, it began having a sluggish start. So, I read all the postings and decided to do the cleanest fix first - not much for getting my fingers greasy and wrecking my nails... :) I bought a new battery and the nice auto parts store guy installed it for me. Voila... the car now starts like it's new and the lights have gone off.

cs9
5

I had the same problem with my 2006 wrx impreza CS9. Engine light came on this morning with the cruise light flashing. Admittedly I did give it a boot full when it happened. The car seemed to drive fine no problems. Both lights still on while driving home from work. Now what I did was unplug a wiring harness that is situated just off the top of the air flow box. It's about 40mm wide. Blew it out with a strong breathe and plugged it back in again. Started the car up and no engine light and no cruise light flashing any more........... for now anyway. Will let you know it the problem comes back. Hope this was helpful.

Funtik
10

I have Subaru Forester 2011. (I guess the youngest car in this thread). When started car today in the morning the CEL was on solid, Traction Control on and solid, CC blinking. Bought the car from a dealership 2 months ago and was assured that the car was checked and in a great shape. Brought it to the dealership (i have an extended warranty so no extra costs here). Right now the car is in the mecanic's hands. Will post an update when i ger my Forry back.

ginapineapple
20

Here's my update. I had tried all the 'easy' fixes for the CEL solid and blinking CC to no avail. After months of avoiding it, I dragged it into a trusted mechanic. I had failed inspection and had no choice. As autozone had said in a free check, the O2 sensor was the problem. It was replaced a few weeks ago and the lights have stayed out since. My local Subaru dealership had originally told me that it was the MAF at fault - very glad I never wasted money replacing it. The car was running fine otherwise, but I think a faulty O2 lowers your mileage.

NurseGreg
0

I have a 2010 Forrester with roughly 85,000 miles on it. I have had this light issue before and it resolved its self in a day. We recently had the oil changed and the air filter changed and this has been going on for a month now. At this time the car is in the driveway with the battery disconnected and I am going to attempt theses fixes. I have little hope though. The car has been rattling for over a year since the heat shields were loose and something tells me now there may be catalytic converter issues. Inspection is due January 2015 so if the simple fixes don't work I will most likely be needing a new exhaust syetem...it has been sneaking through inspection for the last 2 years. ALSO I did note that my gas mileage has been crappy. Not sure if this is due to another problem or if it is from warming the car up for 5-10 min to get the interior warm lowering the gas mileage. Will keep you informed.

Funtik
10

Following up my previous comment regarding 2011 Forester, the issue was solved in half an hour. I simply did not tighten the gas cap properly and the sensor detected gas fumes. Will have to be tough on this cap from now on :)

Hockeybob
0

I have a 2007 Subaru forester and the solid chech engine light and flashing CC light came on today. I took it to Autozone and they plugged in a code meter underneath the steering column. The code was diagnosed as PO420 which can be one of sverl possible issues such as a sensor, catkytic converter or engine oil leak. I will take th car to the dealer on Monday armed with information from this blog and Autozone before making any repairs. I will also try disconnecting the battery if the dealer suggested repairs are not in line with info in this blog and what Autozone informed me. FYI, the Autozone diagnosis was free. Will follow up this thread with information from dealer diagnosis later.

Nikkitem1
0

Tried Chinafromboston's hint and it worked! First time! Thank You

Hockeybob
0

Went to the Subaru dealer yesterday and they cme up with the same diagnostic code as auizone po420. Except this time it ost me $48. The dealer rest the code so the lights at no longer on and recommended I wait to see if the lights come on again. If the lights come on again the next test is to run the car on the highway at a steady speed to graph what the real problem may be. I asked if this next test was accurate as I noted from this blog that diagnosing this problem does not seem to be accurate. They said the next test would pinpoint the problem. I will wait to see if the lights come on again. I am hoping this was just a freak incident and the lights never come on again. Anyone know about this highway graphing road test?

juancano
0

So, funny thing. I have a 2005 Subaru Impreza RS Wagon. About 6 months ago, the ENGINE light came on and the CC light started blinking. I took it to my mechanic, they couldn't figure it out, said maybe it was a gas cap issue. Cleaned cap, etc, didn't go away. Then it would just go away by itself, then come back, then go away. I had them check it and they said not to worry. Seemingly unrelated, by car was burning too much oil (without my knowledge, never had any issues) and car ran out of oil and engine seized. Sucks. Anyway, I put a new (old) engine in the car two weeks ago, car runs great... then engine light came back on and CC is blinking. New mechanic said computer says "misfire" but he doesn't think that's the issue as engine is running smooth. He said maybe I need a new coil. I've ordered a new gas cap as well. So, apparently same ENGINE LIGHT/CC LIGHT issue with two different engines? Maybe it's not the engine?

Hockeybob
0

There in lies the issue with the engine and cc light problem. If they connect a monitor to the plug under the steering column they come up with a code po420 which indicates several possible issues. Which leaves me to believe this is not an easily fixed problem and could lead to costly repairs that don't fix the problem. I did stop at Midas to get second opinion and the manager there was very knowledgable on the po420 problem. According to the Midas manager they can place a scanner on the car and pinpoint the problem. He also recommended trying some of the cheaper solutions first before spending a lot of money on such things like replacing the catalytic converter. If the light comes on again I may try Midas first before the dealer. He did mention he lights usually come back on after riding on the highway.

Madison02
60

I had a code for lean gas/02. I replaced the oxygen sensor on bank 1. But didn't work. Paid dealer $900 to find/fix to no avail. Don't bother with the dealer guys. I suspect it is coming from the muffler or fuel system as it really rattles when going uphill. Light is still on, can't use cc but it runs fine otherwise. Bummer. Light always comes back on when on the highway.

saynotosubaru
0

I have a 2006 Forester w/117,000 miles. The check engine light and flashing cruise control light came on, I disconnected the battery at other's suggestions, it came back on about 3 days later, I tried the gas cap trick, replaced the air filter and about every other thing that I have read online. I took it to a Subaru dealer who said it was an Oxygen Sensor, I had it replaced for about $400, it has come back on one day later. I called to question their decision, she said the oxygen sensor was bad but they also needed to replace the air fuel sensor also. (For another $400). I think I will do like an earlier poster suggested, put black tape over the lights. Love my Subaru, but I won't be buying another, this should be recalled as Subaru evidently have an extensive problem with this. Class action lawsuit anyone?

pruettj
10

It has been about a month since I did the battery disconnect, clean gas cap, etc., to stop the flashing cruise control light and check engine light problem. When using the cruise on a 30-mile trip, it happened again. It is still flashing. I'm getting an oil/filter change tomorrow with my tire company and will seek advice from him (non-dealer opinion). I'll likely disconnect the battery again. Like you, saynotosubaru, I am discouraged about getting another Subaru. This was my first. Will see . . .

Subawho
10

Depending on the year of your Forester, and some other vehicles too possibly, you maybe should be getting your catalytic converter replaced for free. I also has the CEL on and had Monro Muffler run the scan FOR FREE. The PO420 code popped up and I was tipped off to a recall on the catalytic converter. I have a 2009 Forester which is having that along with a brake line recall and a rear seatbelt recall worked on today. I will post after I pick my Forester back up to let you know if the problem has indeed been solved.

Hockeybob
0

Do you have any specifics on the catalytic conveter recall from Subaru? My engine light and cc light just went on again after driving on the highway and using cruise control. I pan to take it to the dealer today to diagnose the exact cause. I will ask the dealer about the catalytic conveyer recall.

NurseGreg
0

Here is my update, it isn't good. As I mentioned before I recently had my oil changed and my air filter replaced, since then I have had the CC and CE light issues, I tried all of the "easy" fixes here and none worked. I took it back to the mechanic, asked him to just go back and check all he had done because "usually" this could be a simple fi. No such luck. He showed me the MAF and the wiring or "pig tail" that it was connected to. The MAF had corroded causing the pig tail to corrode as well. At least 1 of the pins inside the MAF was broken off and although the car would still start, it ran badly and if the car or MAF was bumped it would stall. In my past post I had mentioned the poor gas mileage recently well this could be it. Getting the MAF is no problem but the wiring was a pain. Subaru seems proud of this since it runs about $400. I know in some posts people have said they ignored the issue and later on their car just died. I would have ignored it like others had if I was not taking a trip so I figured I would get it looked at to be sure. Had I traveled with this problem, in my case, I probably would have been stranded. So take a look at the MAF connection and make sure there is no corrosion or it may turn into a huge issue. Also, when the MAF connection was disassembled the mechanic said it looked like it had been repaired in the past. I never repaired it or had it looked at but one of the wires had electrical tape around it like it had been repaired. I am getting the part from my mechanic when he is done today and am going to ask Subaru about it. The new part, ordered from Subaru does not have tape on it I was told.

Subawho
10

http://www.subaru.com/vehicle- recalls.html Follow this link, put you VIN in and any recalls for your vehicle will pop up.

Hockeybob
0

Thx for he pointer. The dealer informed me I had to rplac the catalytic converter at a cost of $2600. I asked the dealer if Subaru would stand behind their vehicles and pay for some of the repair ost. They said most likely not but I could call Subaru and ask them myself. At this point I am totally fed up with Subaru and their costly repairs and will trade the car in for a new and more reliable toyota Camry. Say goodbye to Subaru forever. I will NEVER buy another Subaru. What a piece of you know what.

NurseGreg
0

My mechanic called me last night and said the part Subaru sent them is the wrong one...seriously? He is going there today to find out WTF is going on. Total repair cost on this is going to be roughly $700 and that is almost all parts since it takes about 10 minutes to install but it is over a week we have been waiting for the parts to come. Although my Subaru is a 2010 and has 85,500 miles on it it hasn't needed anything but maintainance since we bought it but if this continues I will definitely be looking towards other makers. I hope they get a fire under their asses on this and get me the part...or a loaner car (like that would happen).

Hockeybob
0

The number of repairs I have made and the high ost of those airs have been ten times the cost of repairs I have made on my 2003 camry. I've rep,aced half he engine, power steering unit, seƱor that disables the shifting of gears, front en stabilizers and way bars, timing belt, remove the rusted rear wheel metal shields, weld the heat shields twice and there are more that I probably don't remember. I've had used cars that were better than this car. See you later Subaru. I'm taking my wallet and money elsewhere. The deler wouldn't even call Subaru to see if thy would take responsibllity for some of $2600 to rplace the catalytic converter.

Subawho
10

The catalytic converter seems to be the culprit in my case. The dealer replaced it free of charge because it was recalled on my vehicle. On the way home from the dealer I stopped for gas. When I restarted the car the CEL came back on and I lost power when I tried to accelerate. The light stayed on for about 100 miles... ( I travel a lot in one day) the light went off on its own tonight and I've had no issues with power loss when trying to accelerate or slowing down to idle.