Help on a knock

junkman
0

Asked by junkman Oct 28, 2009 at 07:37 PM about the 1996 Saab 900 2 Dr S Hatchback

I am looking at a 96 900 that is for sale. They tell me the engine light was blinking and they kept driving it and now it knocks. Can this be as easy as the knock sensor? or is it time for a rebuild. Thanks

Mike Whittle
0

ok, first of all how many miles does the car have? Also, the knock could be a broken push rod. If so, you would have to take the valve covers off and replace them. You dont want to only replace one, spend the money and replace all. Usually if you only replace one then others will go out. This will save you more time and less of a head ache.

Patrick Davis
5

Many things can cause knocking sounds, question is when exactly is it knocking, hydrolic motor mounts going bad could cause this, or bad Cv joints(drive shafts for front wheel drive) or just a straight lack of maintaining the vehicle, if its the engine your talking alot of cash, CV joints are not that bad if you do the work yourself