Thumping from front end

Asked by Zeser23 Dec 22, 2009 at 04:45 PM about the 1995 Ford Explorer 4 Dr XL 4WD SUV

I have a hard thumping noise coming from the front end. Comes and go's. Like something is popping in and out of place. Seems to
work fine when 4 wheel is engaged. Only does it when excelarating. It's a steady thump when it's there. Some times will drive miles
without problem then I'll take a turn or something and it will start. Seems to go away at higher speeds. Somethings might be coinsidence
just started doing this the other day. Truck has 150k miles on it and was just purchused.

it sounds like bad mounts.get 2 of your buddies and check this out. pop the and have one under the hood and one lookin at the trans. bacarefull when you do this. put it in drive with your left on the brake and give it a little gas. if eithor the engine or trans moves then which ever one moves will need new mounts. this is a dangerous test so becarefull.

Monte Titus

I had the same thing. It's the stabilizer pin in the front end. Not too expensive to fix. I had the left one done and now the right one is doing it.

Ron Hunter

sounds like the spindle berings might be going CARFULLY check how hot the hub is aftyer driving if its boiling you probily have bering wear

Have had a thumping grinding like sound in left front wheel of my 2000 Explorer Sport for some time. When slowing to a stop the front end wobbles side to side. Dealership couldn't diagnose at first but went back today. This mechanic found it right away--rust gets between the rotor and hub and causes the wheel to wobble, like if you put a shim on on side. This causes the rotor to wobble side to side and back and forth against the caliper. Eventually the wheel would fall off. So if you have anythng like this get it checked out. The cleaned it all up and reassembled-good as new.