1991 Pontiac 6000 stalls out.

bama
35

Asked by bama May 01, 2008 at 07:53 PM about the 1991 Pontiac 6000 4 Dr LE Sedan

Car stalled out. ill crank fine, but engine goes dead when put in gear. Sounds like maybe it does not get fuel when engine rev's up. Is the fuel injection in the gas tank? How many injectors does it have?

26,255

See other post.

Julian Vaiana
165

The problem could be with the fuel pump, or pressure regulator, or maybe a clogged fuel filter.

Larry Thibert
1,090

had a similar problem and it ended up being a bad body groung..just trace out all the ground wires..clean them up with a wire brush and that should solve your problem...

Chris Mcfarlane
25

also had a similar problem with my 88. but it still ran in gear and stalled when trying to turn. left it alone and now my fuel pump is dead.

Nathan Evans
35

I had that problem too. Turned out to be cracked throttle body where the idle speed motor threads on. Mine had throttle body injection (cheap standard engine). So, the computer cannot compensate enough for all the air that's being sucked in through the crack/bad gasket. Spray ether around the throttle body and might as well spray the intake manifold too, to see if any kind of vacuum leak is present thus, making fuel/air mixture too lean.

sergeantfunk52
10

I had the exact same problem with my car, if you still have it don't waste your time with fuel pumps or any of that B.S. The real solution is to replace the TCC solenoid. It even addresses the problem in the Haynes Engine repare manual. The TCC solenoid engages on that vehicle at 40mph and the problem you have is that it heats up and sticks therefore when you try to apply the brakes there is still power being delivered to the wheels. Think of it as if your car is a manual transmission and you are trying to go from third gear at 40mph to a complete stop without dis-engaging the clutch. It is about a 300 doller fix. DO NOT LISTEN TO THESE PEOPLE WHO DON'T KNOW WHAT THEIR TALKING ABOUT WITH THE FUEL PUMP B.S. I had the TCC solenoid replaced and the problem hasn't re-occured since.

Phalangee Yo
10

actually i have an 87 with the same problem. its the lockout solenoid in the transmission.. my car fires right up but when shifting it stalls.. the parts only like 20 bucks but a bitch to fix

sasser13
50

i have a 91 pontiac 600 that has brand new tune up, oil change, coil pax module, coils,. starts up fine. runs great for 5 mins than it will stall out. When put into gear, it stalls and will not run barely at all. Cannot figure out what the fucking problem is. Any suggestions??

sasser13
50

i mean 6000

jose1dom
0

I had a pontiac 6000 4 cyl. would not idle, it was the egr valve stuck with carbon in the open position.

royengle
10

1991 Olds Cutlass Ciera 3.3 v6 would start, run a few minutes fine, while cold. When warmed up it would shut off, stall, not restart. It would crank over good, but not restart. Added fuel to aircleaner, it would restart, run a little smoothly, then stall again. I had new battery. Changed to new CPS (Crank Position Sensor), checked IAC ( Idle Air Control valve). They were not the problem. Found problem: There was one bad electronic fuel injector ( one of the six injectors on the engine). A single bad injector on this type of fuel injection will cause the engine too shut off, once it has gotten warmed up. ( Many cars have this type FI, Not just Olds, Not just V6, Not just this year model) You can Check your: With the engine hot, (after it stalled and shutoff) I unplugged one injector at a time. By pushing in on the wire keeper to the injector connector electrical plug, it will let you lift (unplug) that injector. Then with it removed, try to restart the engine. If it will not start, plug the one you remove back in, and pull the next injector connector. There are three on top, each side on the 3.3 V6. Just keep working you way around, one at a time, trying to restart after each Injector plug is removed. The car should restart when you find the injector that is bad. The car will run (but mis-fire ) a little rough, but it got me to and from the auto parts store just fine to buy the one new injector I needed to change. It was NOTanything to do with : Crank postion sensor (CPS), Computer, Electronic Control Module (ECM), Coil, coil packs, Ignition Control Module (ICM), spark plug wires, Spark plugs, Bad ground, Idle Air Control (IAC), Temperature sensor, Throttle position sensor (TPS), Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter, Vacume leak, bad vacum lines or hoses, Cam Postion Sensor (CPS). Hope this helps anyone with a car that starts fine cold, but stalls after driving a short distance (warmed up). It may restart just fine, but shut off, stall again later. Good luck, this worked for me.