Coolant low light won't go off

Adrian Esparza

Asked by Adrian Feb 12, 2013 at 11:34 AM about the 1997 Pontiac Sunfire 2 Dr SE Convertible

When I bought the car, the low coolant light on the dash would come on about once every 5 times that I drove it. I took it to Pep Boys for an overall inspection and they said they're not sure why the light would come on at all because there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the system. Now, it is on EVERY time I drive it. Finally I got so tired of the light being on I got some antifreeze and put it in. The light is still on! What else does it need?

it needs the flote sender sensor on side of rad cleaned or replaced to funtion correctly or snipped off

Adrian Esparza

is that something I can do myself or does a shop have to do it for me? I'm really short on cash for a while :(

Short on cash? Ignore the light - you know you have coolant. The switch is on the front of the bottle behind the one inch hose. You can easily see it. Give it a tap with a screwdriver handle to free it. If that fails, unplug it.

Adrian Esparza

Is there any chance I can get a picture of what it looks like? I will give it a try.

71,285 - check out this picture. Cap is at the top. Two small hoses in the center. One inch hose at the bottom. The float switch is down by that hose. Electrical connector sticking down.