security light (different issue)

drm316
0

Asked by drm316 Apr 12, 2009 at 11:05 PM about the 1998 Pontiac Firebird Base

Hi, I have not been able to turn on my vehicle for a couple of days, the security light blinks when i turn the key to start it and it keeps blinking. All I hear is only an innitial click when I first turn the key all the way but then it wont click again unless I take out the key and wait a couple of seconds and then does the same thing. battery does not seem to be the problem I had the ignition coil replaced by a GM dealership about a year ago. :S anyone have a clue of what may be wrong with it? thanks.

Chris Hansen
55

sounds like your VATS(Vehicle Anti Theft System)has disable your vehicle. your key is equipped with a resistor chip it may be dirty or faulty try a differnt key if you have one or clean the contact surface of the chip. if that doesnt work try pressing the unlock button 2 times on your key fob to disable your security and then try to start your vehicle.

whdopn
35

try unhooking your battery for at least 30 min. this will reset your computor if it is a security prob.if this dosent work it could be your starter cyloniod this will make a clicking sound when trying to start the vech,tap on your starter while some on trys to start the vech good luck.

Brian Anderson
10

what size resistor do i need to by pass anti theft system i lost my keys so i put a push to start botton on it