security light (different issue)

drm316
0

Asked by Apr 12, 2009 at 11:05 PM about the 1998 Pontiac Firebird Base

Hi, I have not been able to turn on my vehicle for a couple of days, the security light blinks when i turn the key to start it and it keeps blinking. All I hear is only an innitial click when I first turn the key all the way but then it wont click again unless I take out the key and wait a couple of seconds and then does the same thing. battery does not seem to be the problem I had the ignition coil replaced by a GM dealership about a year ago. :S anyone have a clue of what may be wrong with it? thanks.

Chris Hansen
85

sounds like your VATS(Vehicle Anti Theft System)has disable your vehicle. your key is equipped with a resistor chip it may be dirty or faulty try a differnt key if you have one or clean the contact surface of the chip. if that doesnt work try pressing the unlock button 2 times on your key fob to disable your security and then try to start your vehicle.

Brian Anderson
30

what size resistor do i need to by pass anti theft system i lost my keys so i put a push to start botton on it

whdopn
65

try unhooking your battery for at least 30 min. this will reset your computor if it is a security prob.if this dosent work it could be your starter cyloniod this will make a clicking sound when trying to start the vech,tap on your starter while some on trys to start the vech good luck.