security light

laurie410
0

Asked by laurie410 Feb 05, 2009 at 12:40 AM about the 1998 Pontiac Firebird Base

my security light came on about a month ago is this a repairable problem

Seth-Tabitha Hagen
705

Absolutely. If the car still starts and runs, then the security system still functioning, at least partially. If the security system completely fails, the car will not start. A good mechanic can connect the car to a scan tool and check the security system for faults. Some private shops do not like to repair security systems, so check first to see if they are capable of performing this repair. If not, the dealer is always another option.

gpastra
50

Success!!! It is in your manual. Syncronize your transmitter with your car by pressing both lock and unlock the transmitter for 8 seconds until the car responds with the interior lights and the door locking. Start the engine and the security light will disappear. Good Luck.

Justin Hatfield
2,425

This is a VERY common thing that happens on GM vehicles. This is how it works. There is a Chip on your key shaft. (newer models have a transponder in the Key's plastic head) This Chip sends a signal that is read by the ignition/lock cylinder. The ignition then sends this signal down the line to the TDM (Theft Deterrent Module). The TDM then allows the starter to start. Seems like alot just to start your car, (it is) but this is how GM decided to do it. The point being that without everything communicating that signal, nobody will be able to "hotwire" and steal your car. The bad news is that every part of that system is expensive and is a "dealer" kind of fix. Get ready to pay up to a thousand bucks to FIX it. The good news is that if you want to BYPASS it, you can do this a lot cheaper. Check out this link for info, pictures, and some sites to help you in this matter. Ive been doing these bypasses for years, and if you bypass it permanantly, you will never have this problem again. You CAN fix this yourself. And will be alot cheaper than taking it in. You can contact me thru that link if you need any further help or have questions. http://vatspasslockpasskeysecurityhelp.yolasite.com/

mkb
30

thanks justin , this inforamtion is quite exhaustive ...