Why would my service light be on my 2002 pontiac sunfire?

dflat
10

Asked by dflat Feb 24, 2010 at 09:43 AM about the 2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE

My service light comes on and stays on as soon as I put my car into drive. It doesn't come on until I actually put the car into drive. But then sometimes it doesn't come on at all. This just started yesterday. I am curious what all reasons would cause this light to come on? I have a check engine light, but that isn't coming on. So is this something not related to the engine?

Ryan Devenport
155

Change or Oil and reset the light the owners manual will guide you through how to reset the light but if you dont change your oil it will just come back on.. GM used a oil monitoring system that basically tells you when to do oil changes not determined by length of travel or time but by oils current condition inside of your engine.

Ashley Weissert
25

you can always take your car to carx or something to get a scanner hooked up to it. it might just be some codes that you can erase. need to get it checked out though, you won't pass emissions with that light on.

dflat
10

I just had my oil changed last week so I don't know what else there would be wrong.

Ashley Weissert
25

you need to get it scanned hello!

Will Duncan
130

The service light doesn't relay codes. Only the check engine light will register OBD-2 trouble codes. The check engine light will come on if there are any emission malfunctions. The service light may indicate a problem with ABS, transmission system, or tach system.

Will Duncan
130

Oh, almost forgot. May be a problem with the headlights. Chances are its your daytime running lights since it comes on once you put it into drive. I would check that first.

nocarissuesneeded
20

The service light with a wrench symbol is a non emissions light. GM uses this light for oil change (based on oil condition) and headlight issues. The reset process once these are fixed is comical but easy to do. You need to (while car is off) pump gas 1 time & break 1 time; Then turn your key to the on (but not cranked) positions; pump the gas 3 times, press and hold the break 15 seconds; turn the car to off and then crank it and the reset is complete.