2003 Pontiac Sunfire Trac Off/Engine Light

Mel2511
0

Asked by Mel2511 Aug 15, 2011 at 11:50 AM about the 2003 Pontiac Sunfire Base

For the past week the trac off and engine light on my sunfire has constantly stayed lit upon starting the car and during driving. The car is running fine/driving fine, no strange sounds or anything like that. These lights came on a few days after I had new rear brakes installed. I don't know if that would have anything to do with it. Any idea on what could be the problem?

14,885

trac and check engine or trac off and abs. if trac off and abs light is on 99 times out of 100 its a wheel speed sensor. buy an abs brake scanner or take it to a shop. you can individually check to see if each sensor is producing voltage by removing each wheel and probing each sensor with a DVOM while spinning the hub to see if the sensor is producing voltage and yes its a huge pain. the auto traction control and abs system rely on a reading from each wheel speed sensor to know what it needs to do if you have an intermittent wheel speed sensor it will make your low trac light come on, and activate your abs. a dead sensor will turn on ur two lights. your vehicle also has a service light and a check engine light usually the service light comes on when an exterior light is burnt out so the service light would have nothing to do with your traction

Warren0007
675

Ok my Daughters Sunfire has the same issue and I replaced both front sensors and the Wires harnesses on both sides. The Wheel Bearings (Hubs) are fine with no movement for wear and no noise on the road. Could I have a bad sensor in back or the controls module is bad. The rear sensors are built into the hub. I tested the wires from rear to front and they are ok. Now the lights come on right away then some times they don't until you drive a little ways. Help

14,885

Could be the sensors in the rear, could be the wires, could be many other things. Get the codes pulled with an abs code scanner, auto parts stores sell them but don't use them for pulling codes. Either fork over the $200 for the scanner or go to a local repair shop and get the codes pulled and an estimate to fix it.

14,885

By the way if the trac off light is on but the abs and brake light are off then it's not a wheel speed sensor.

Warren0007
675

I have a Code Scanner and there are no codes? I have tested wires from back to front and they test ok? My only two options are the rear sensors or the Control Module ABS Unit. I have all three lights on ABS Track and Engine.

14,885

And no codes are popping up for the check engine or the ABS? You need a scanner designed specifically for scanning brake codes. An ordinary code scanner won't access the abs or brake codes.

Degriff
0

My wife had the same issue with her sunfire, come to find out the fuse for the cooling fan was blown. I replace the fuse, the engine and traction lights turn off, then it would blow the fuse and the light came back on. I finally found that the cooling fan motor was bad which kept causing the fuse to blow. Replaced the motor, and never have had this issue again. It would never give me a code, I just happen to notice it was starting to run hot. I am still confused on why the cooling fan motor would prevent the traction control from working.

StephS
5

my 2001 sunfire has the same trac off light problem. the difference i am having is when the light comes on the car will not shift and runs over 3000 rpm. when this happens i pull over turn off the engine for about 10-15 seconds. then restart and the light is off. when i put it into gear it bangs like it is having trouble shifting into the gear. then when i get going it is fine. has just started doing this in the last 2 months. it happens about every other day. last week i had to pull over 3 times while driving to work. HELP PLEASE!!