what is causing battery to not hold charge when battery, alternator, and starter are good?

chrys04
60

Asked by chrys04 May 28, 2013 at 12:01 AM about the 1996 Ford Taurus GL

Hi i am having trouble 96 Ford Taurus. The battery
died on me , so i checked alternator and it was
fried.I changed it and put battery back on. It died
again. Three alternators later we were still fighting
the same battle. We have determined that the
battery drains and then dies when the headlights
are on. We believe it is grounding somewhere but
cant figure it out. Any suggestions or alternative
solutions would be great. Battery, starter, fuses,
and alternator all good

judge_roy

the glovebox light or engine or courtesy hatch light are on....check at night...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0

chrys04
60

The battery is dying about 30 minutes into my drive. It is ok when it first starts going. It last less time if headlights are on.

judge_roy

...yes your alternator renounced all responsibility toward juicing your battery and system...perhaps your battery is old....5 years and should be replaced...also the alternator output is not sufficient....should be 14.5 to 15.5 volts please~ turn it in for a rebuilt one from NAPA~...and get a new battery~~~{the judge #4}

judge_roy

...if you've been a good little owner, the battery will be new-ish and the connections to the battery are simply corroded and need to be hosed off and wirebrushed clean....all connections...black to frame to engine all should be able to pull at least 300CCA without catchin' fire---and be free of corrosion...especially the little red lolipop connector at the battery which is return from the alternator....this one should be made clean...and perhaps you may escape having to replace these things...for a while~ {the judge #4}

judge_roy

eric the car guy takes you through the seven planes of hell to which if you had been observant may have spotted the electrical drain as a switch left on...etc~.....do avoid all that~

judge_roy

the new Tin/Antimony Alloy (no LEAD) anymore will only last about 10 years before they will stop accepting a charge *from a 35 year Electrochemical Engineer (me pops)~ 10 percent per year they will stop listening to what the alternator has to say~...until the damned alternator overheats and the battery is still dead~

BigBullDog
5

Check the ground wires on the firewall front and driver side. Make sure the #26 fuze is okay.

George Whitmire
40

which fuse will stop it from charging from my alternator to my battery

George Whitmire
40

alternator not charging battery alternator good