trunk latch

sunfire_red
25

Asked by sunfire_red Jan 05, 2008 at 01:57 PM about the 2005 Pontiac Sunfire Base

My  trunk won't latch.  anyone else have this problem? Is there an easy fix?

29,035

Have to get a new trunk latch mechanism, I believe. If you have the auto trunk opener, sometimes when the motor dies the mechanism "sticks" in the up position, which won't allow for latching. Also, there is a lot of plastic in these and if the latch piece gets cracked, it can cause the same problem.

lmr030688
50

I had the same problem. my trunk was slammed toe hard and the metal bar that the latch latches on to got pushed down. if you connect a chain to it and pull up with force it should be put back into the right position and be able to latch

Bill Hackathorn
0

Mark's answer is the best. The latch certainly isn't robust enough. In fact, I bent mine back with a breaker bar. I had a cavalier a few years ago, and the body of the car rusted out right were the trunk latch connected. With some pop rivets and the right "magic" words I was able to make it last a few months until spring!