rattle & clunking in front end. at 46,000 miles & power steering light came on and steering is very loose?

ace327gsp
25

Asked by ace327gsp May 27, 2008 at 10:03 PM about the 2005 Pontiac G6 GT

We bought a 05 G6 GT with 46,000 miles. There was a loud noise in the back but it went away with new tires. Then we noticed a clunking and rattling at slow speeds in the front end. Also the power steering light came on. turned car off and message was gone. The steering is super loose rather than tight like you'd expect in a sport version?

dvigano
8,955

This could be several things. You're going to have to listen very carefully to the noise and where it's coming from. My first guess is that it's your power steering pump.

Adam Morgan
4,085

I would disagree simply because that shouldn't affect how loose/tight the steering feels, usually just makes it more/less difficult to turn. Doesn't mean that's not the problem, just putting my $0.02 in based on very limited experience. I would guess a damaged steering rack... but I would say take it to a shop.

Andy Huhn
320

the fact the light came on makes me think its probly a steering column or motor sine it has electric assist soises could be a steering gear or an intermediate steering shaft

Devin Eden
90

You actually could have a couple issues going on with your car. >Regarding the message on your radio, TAKE IT TO YOUR DEALERSHIP ASAP. if you bought your car from a dealership you should be getting a letter soon if you havent already got one regarding your electronic assist malfunctioning. 05-06 g6 have electronic assist. different than traditional powersteering because it primarily works electronically instead of fluid being pumped into the rack. The electronic assist has been cutting out completely while people are driving. when you turned the car off you reset the computer. >Regarding the clunking noise, turn your steering wheel left and right while parked. if you hear a clunking noise your intermediate steering shaft is the reason. gm will not recall the vehicle because the number or vehicles affected. I have the same issue with my wife's 2007 g6. it is not a saftey issue so far. just irritating. it makes the noise because of a lack of fluid in its design. gm's solution is to basically inject more fluid. the noise has been reported to come back betweeb 3000 to 8000 miles after being "fixed" by gm. If you have a couple hundred bucks to spend to eliminate it, then buy an aftermarket part for autozone or etc and have the stock replaced. >Regarding the rattling sound, if it sounds to be coming from under the hood and not dealing with the steering try opening your hood and shaking your coolant reservoir. if it rattles up against the side of the car then its likely to be it. its another complaint gm has had with the g6. this is a easy and cheap fix. (also what the dealership with do) unmount your coolant reservoir from your car. you do not need to drain your coolant or anything to do this fix. set it off to the side to give you access to the area where the reservoir sits. take a flexible cushion material and tape it (or you can buy adhesive to apply on the back side of the material)to where the reservoir sits. Basically making a pad between the reservoir and the car so it wont rattle while you are driving. hope this helps

Valerian
10

The 2005 Pontiac G6 has a electric steering and it was recalled and I got mine replaced for free thats why it gets tight and when you turn the car off and then back on it resets and then you can steer the car. Take it to the dealership and have them look up the vin#

waxslapper
0

mine has no powersteering pump...all electrinic.

challenger2
0

it has electronic power steering there is no actual pump

hillbilly33
15

My light just came on for the powersteering but it is an 05 g6 so there is no ps. Why would the light appear other than my wife hit a block in the road and busted 2 rims so i have spares on it till the new ones come in? Would the spare make the light appear because it doesnt drive any diff.

ss195
130

05's do not have a power steering pump so I'm sure that's NOT your problem. They have an electric motor driving a rack which can be the culprit. Also, these models suffer from an intermediate steering shaft problem that makes a thumping sound. This isn't actually a failure, just a design flaw and its more of an annoyance than anything else.

Anne Cappas
10

I have a 2008 Pontiac G6 GT and it is making that same noise. It does sound like something is clunking around in the front end, but I do not have any lights lit up or anything coming across on my radio. By chance have you found out what is that irritating clunking noise like your car could fall apart at any given moment?? Thank you...

ss195
130

A lot of GM mid size cars and light trucks make a clunking noise due to a loose intermediate steering shaft. The beancounters at GM will have the dealer pump grease into it which solves the symtom for about a month. If you want a permenent fix, have the shaft replaced and make sure its a new part number. Replacing it with old stock will do the same thing.

Jamie Hillman
10

I have a 05 Pontiac G6. There is a knocking noise under my hood. It doesn't seem to be coming from the motor because the car is running normal without any other problems just this noise. It is not easily heard from the inside or while driving, mostly when it is idling. It's not really a knocking as much as it sounds like something is rattling around with the vibrations. There is no grinding and my car starts fine every time. Runs like a champ, just this weird noise. At first it sounded like a heat shield rattling around, but that has been ruled out. Any suggestions?

56,115

Jamie. If you start a new question it will be easier for the folks on here to follow it and also help you out.