What does it mean when the check engine light come on and "reduced engine power" comes on the radio display?

dantron1313
10

Asked by dantron1313 Sep 06, 2011 at 10:54 PM about the 2006 Pontiac G6 GT

The car has 42,285 miles. My girl took it to work today with no problems. Called
me to come and get her as the above mentioned problem occurred. I drove the car
home after doing a test lap around the parking lot, approx. 4 miles. The temp
gauge never rose, all fluids were at acceptable levels under the hood. There was a
lag to the accelerator when pressed. I can only deduce that is b/c the power was
reduced to the engine. Never drove above 25 mph as well. Is this an O2 sensor
problem? I have also heard it may be a TAC problem, but am not sure. And I live in
an apt complex, with no where to work on the vehicle. Any and all suggestions
welcome.

Dobermann
325

Your engine is in self-protect mode.It could be something as simple as timing belt( or plastic sprocket) missing a tooth, making the engine out of time. The Anti knock sensor, oil pump pressure,or even a bad O2 sensor can cause this. The first thing to do is to get a scan tool pluged into the OBD II port under your dash.By running a simple scan, you can determine if you want to take on the job yourself or take it into a shop.I have seen a bad seal on a gas cap, put a Chevy pick-up in this mode.

dantron1313
10

Thanks dobermann. since the time this happened, i hooked it up to a diagnostic, got the codes and brought it to the dealership at which i work. by the time I got the car here, the check engine light had gone out, so they wouldn't work on it. It has run fine ever since. I saved the codes and talked to my girl's dad about it, he is giving them to one of his buddies who is a pontiac tech. Thanks for the reply though, and i'll keep you posted. Turns out it was the throttle computer and an 02 sensor. both have mysteriously gone away.

clarey
160

"I was driving and the reduced engine power ligth message and I can not accelerated more the engine light is turn on and also service traction control started to appear what happened"