96 olds silloette ac light on,was told antifreezeis going into manifold, mechanic said not worth fixing, Help!

redrobin55
35

Asked by redrobin55 May 29, 2012 at 04:33 PM about the 1996 Oldsmobile Silhouette 3 Dr STD Passenger Van

I have 96 olds silloette the low coolant light came on, checked the antifreeze, was full but no col air. took it to my not regular mechanic anymore because last year had same problem and he replaced ac compresser, heater core and put freon in twice. Now the same thing this year. Took it back & he said the antifreeze is going into manifold and leaking. Ride has 147000 on it he says not worth fixing and won't do it.buy something else. I need to fix this van can anyone help me find someone for repair?

103,855

So you say your coolant is full but you have a low coolant light? First thing I would think of is the sensor for the low coolant is faulty. They usually reside on the bottom of the coolant overflow tank and sometimes just get sludged up. All you need to do is clean or replace it. But if your mechinc thinks it's something more serious, like a headgasket, then start calling around to other mechanics. Talk to friends who they use. If you like your ride, I always say it's cheaper to fix than buy another.

redrobin55
35

The problem is that I have to keep putting water & or antifreeze in the overflow tank or it begins to over heat. I can see slight leakage left side of manifold. Most days there is a small amount of antifreeze on the ground in my driveway. Since my no more mechanic just put in the third round of freon the car should cool down but it is just barley cool. I was thinking it was possibly a head gasket but wouldn't I have white smoke coming out the muffer when I start the ride up? People like to take advantage of women, but I would be so lucky to find an honest person where I live just once. There are 15 places to go within a two mile radious and I have had it with people that just don't fix it right to begin with. Maybe my best bet is to go to another place and not tell them what the last guy said and see what they come up with for the problem. I Thank- You for your reply!