How to remove the crossover exhaust pipe in an Oldsmobile silhouette 1998

Tigger33
5

Asked by Tigger33 Jan 31, 2010 at 12:11 AM about the 1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette 4 Dr GL Passenger Van Extended

How to remove the crossover exhaust pipe in an Oldsmobile silhouette 1998 to reach the thermostat? Problem: It seems like it is very difficult to reach and remove the heat shield bolts in the rear side of the exhaust pipe assembly, therefore the same for the rear bolts/nuts of the pipe.
Any tip of instruction or graphic images will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Matt Mansell
145

It is terribly difficult to do. I did it just a month or so ago. I had to remove the front exhaust manifold to get to it...which means removing everything above it too. I have a 2001, so I'm assuming the engine and layout is the same. It's in a rediculous place aswell - have you located where it is? It's almost on the bottom part of the block on the right side if you're looking at the front of it. If you can put it in the air, you'll be way ahead. I did mine on the ground in the garage. Start by removing the washer fluid resovoir, the black stabilizer bar, and dive in. Make sure you have extra coolant on hand as you have to remove the rubber pipes from the rad to get to it. (It's also a good time to do a coolant flush if you haven't for a while.) You might have to remove the plug wires aswell, depending on where they're placed and if they're an annoyance. Let me know if I can be of any help to you - but unfortunately it's a pain the rear to get to it. Matt

Zay Dakyd
0

hey matt. did you have to get on the ground to remove the rear crossover exhaust bolts?

David Howard
20

TO put in a thermostat I suggest you pull the trottle body instead. It's easier to do and then you can get at the thermostate bolts. The back one is a bitch but doable.

Matt Mansell
145

To be honest Young, I had to jack it up and lie underneath. A hoist is the best chance you have - but that's not saying that it's not doable.