how to replace water pump on 96 nissan sentra

jt2kool
0

Asked by jt2kool Jan 11, 2013 at 07:54 PM about the 1996 Nissan Sentra GXE

61,205

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHeU-jw6680

koss33
10

Need help

kc_connection
0

I did my water pump on my 1996 Nissan Sentra. It took me about 6 - 7 hours the first time. Unfortunately the new one I bought was deffective and I had to do it twice. The second time it only took me about 2 hours. You will 10 mm, 12mm, 14 mm and 17mm sockets and wrenches I believe. Most of the work you should be able to do the from the top but you will need to jack your car up on car jacks. Once done follow these instructions. Use the 12mm wrench to loosen and remove the power steering belt. Then use the 14mm and 17mm sockets wrenches and start removing some U-shaped bar that wraps around the motor a little bit. It will be quite obvious as you will need to do in order to have access. Then you need take the bolt out holding the motor mount on the passenger side. The mount is round and you should be locate it. Once I figured this out then the water pump became much easier. I took my floor jack and put a piece of wood on it then jacked up the motor underneath the oil pan. I was able to jack it up about 8 -10 inches. That gave me the access I needed to remove the water pump. With out doing this it would be very difficult. It still is going to be difficult bu this helps. Use a 10 mm ratchet, air ratchet, wrench and take off the pulley bolts. Going to be tricky since the pulley spins. If you have air ratchet then its easy. If you don't you might leave the power steering belt until you loosen the bolts, then take belt off and remove bolts. Next step is too remove water outlet housing to the left of water pump. Its 10mm bolts. Air ratchet with small extension is helpful. One of the bolts you wont be able to see and you will need 4 inch socket extension of some kind. After the pulley and water outlet housing is removed, then find the 5 or 6 bolts for the pump. They should be in same spots as the new one. The bolts are different lengths so as you remove them, put them in the corresponding hole in the new pump so you know where they go. Remove the water pump, put the new gaskets on. From here you should be to figure out how to put the new one since you took the old one off. The biggest key was jacking up the motor by removing the motor mount bolt. With out it I don't think I could have done it. Good Luck!