1997 Nissan pickup rough idle

Asked by z28dylan Sep 16, 2010 at 03:34 PM about the 1997 Nissan Pickup 2 Dr XE 4WD Standard Cab SB

I have a 1997 nissan pickup with a 2.4L 5speed manual. I've been have problems for a while and up to now i've replaced the fuel filter, checked the fuel pump, replaced spark plugs, spark plug wires, and replaced the distributor. I've also had the catalytic replaced. I was told that when you change the catalytic you should change the oxygen sensor behind it too, but i didn't. Now it idles kind of goofy. It's lopey almost like it's missing. The RPMs at idle hop around from 900 to 600, but when i'm driving it's fine. If i just rev it up to about 1400 RPMs it seems fine. I was wandering if the rear oxygen sensor could be doing it, and if it's not then what??

Friend, sounds like you have a vacuum leak. You can check to see if the vacuum hose located at the bottom of the EGR valve is good or bad by looking for visible signs of hose deterioration. This is very common problem with the 2.4L engines and is a easy fix by replacing the vacuum hose, takes about twenty minutes. There are other vacuum hoses located near the EGR valve that could be bad but the one mentioned is usually the culprit. If your vacuum hoses are fine then check the EGR valve, EGR solenoid.

Kevin Filipek

will that throw a code

Took truck in and found the problem was the little diode looking thing in the air filter housing. It has wires to it and a vacume line.