my first time

babyjo
0

Asked by babyjo Dec 23, 2012 at 01:54 AM about the 1998 Nissan Pathfinder 4 Dr LE 4WD SUV

i am looking at 97 pathfinder 4x4 this the first time buying car on my own and funds limited it's 3500.00 with 187,000 mls  what kind of problems should i be prepared for?

joef
2,985

Well, at 187,000 miles you're looking at a car that will have allot of worn out parts... And Pathfinders weren't always known for their superior reliability. It is at the age where much of the drive-train will have to be broken down and rebuilt/replaced. Also, the 4X4 systems were troubled. I would recommend a Ford Crown Victoria. Not a pretty car but if you're looking for reliability, safety, and power, this is the car to buy! You can pick them up with half the miles as that pathfinder for about the same price. Good luck!

Jason Miller
235

I've actually got a '98 Pathfinder 4X4 that I bought last year. It's done great so far. I would say have it thoroughly looked over by a trusted mechanic so you know the shape the engine, transmission, driveline are in. Test drive it too, so you know what to expect. One main repair I've had to make on mine is pretty much an entire emission system replacement (Charcoal canister, cat converter, O2 sensors, etc); Charcoal canister was old and broke open. Though any older car can have emissions system problems. I would buy mine again in a heartbeat, but it always matter how the car was driven by the previous owner(s).