Oil filter relocation kit

Wolf_359
345

Asked by Wolf_359 Dec 22, 2011 at 11:19 PM about the 1999 Nissan Pathfinder 4 Dr SE 4WD SUV

Anyone who has done their own oil change on this vehicle knows that the Devil himself must've placed the oil filter where it is.
After removing the plastic skid plate (for protection from plastic rocks, I guess), I had to contort my arm quite a bit to reach up to the filter. Upon unscrewing it, my arm was drenched with hot oil. Not fun.
Time to relocate the filter to a more humane place, possibly the left fender arch where the air box is soon to be removed.
Having said all that, I've found that the Perma-Cool Universal Oil Filter Relocation System to be the only one that is applicable to the '99. If the internet cannot produce any others, then they do not exist.
Well, actually, Summit Racing has a good kit, but, of course, not for the '99.
Has anybody else relocated the oil filter?
Where was the filter placed?
What kit was used, and why was it better than any others?
How has the relocation stood up over time?
Thank you.
Automotive engineers do not have to work on their own cars.

voltagefuel
715

I asked a 30 year veteran Nissan Master tech about your question, and on the lift - he says once you take off the plastic shield it's pretty easy to get to. He's done it on that year alone probably a hundred times. Sure it s a little harder to do on the ground. He doesn't know why you'd want to relocate anything like that, but a cheaper alternative might be to just have a Nissan dealership do the oil changes for you. You deserve a break.