What type of damage could occur & what are the related cost repairs from reverse polarity, while jump-starting a car?

IvanBroce
0

Asked by IvanBroce Feb 25, 2013 at 12:47 PM about the 2000 Nissan Xterra XE V6 4WD

My wife reversed the jump cable connectors, while unsuccessfully trying to start my 2000 Nissan XTerra XE (4x4 - V6). During the attempt she reported the car making some "weird noises" :-o and I told her to stop; my neighbor confirmed my suspission on reverse polarity. However, after correcting the polarity, the engine wouldn't even turn. What are the possible damages and approx related repair costs?

7jimmy7
12,545

first battery gets a little cooking might survive, then alternator gets a reverse blast ov voltage against diodes, if short duration may be ok[ive done this many times till now i paint big + and- on battery,hopr radio was off [diodes] also a diode in hood fuse box and check the big 1 inch fuses they may have saved yo but

hoppeeppoh
0

The thing to really check for is the computer I think it's called an ECU. If this was shorted you will have to replace that the good news there would be that salvage yards may be a resource to finding one cheap as well as ebay. Just make sure to talk to the dealer to find out exactly what computer number you need.