Reset Check engine light after service

RonTurrey
0

Asked by RonTurrey Nov 27, 2011 at 03:47 PM about the 2001 Nissan Frontier 2 Dr XE Extended Cab SB

How do I reset the check engine light now that I have completed the service.

avatar666
640

1.)turn the key to the on position (do not crank over the motor....dont start the engine) 2.) wait 3 seconds.... and then fully step on the gas and let go fully 5 times with in 5 seconds.... (ex. wait...3....stomp.stomp.stomp.stomp.stomp 3.)wait 6seconds....(not steppig on gas pedal) 4. FULLY PRESSS down on gas pedal and hold for about 10 seconds. 5.) the check engine light should be flashing. should be flashing 10times and stop a few seconds and then 10 and stop.....etc. 6. hold down pedal again 10 secs. 7. release pedal.....turn key off..... 8...wait a few seconds and turn the motor on.....check engine light should be gone.

You think this is helpful.
Artinbama
20

Bad spark plug made my check engine light burn on my 03 Frontier. The kid at the parts store correctly diagnosed #2 plug misfire but refused to turn off the check engine light. New set of NGK Iridium plugs cured the misfire problem and was able to turn off the check engine light with avatar666's very helpful tip.

kelsonlm
100

did not work on my 2001 frontier

Billy Sikes
80

On older models, disconnect neg battery cable for 24 hrs

FrontierSalvage
50

Just did what avatar666 suggested on a 2012 nissan frontier sv king cab, worked like magic once I got it right ( after a few tries )... have all my power back and my stupid check engine light / system disablment fixed after the dealership screwed me over by spraying fluid film on my brake spring hold down clips ( which I had to wash off with WD40 ), under the guise of a ' brake inspection'... the adage holds true - if you want it to work, learn to mechanic it yourself

FrontierSalvage
50

BTW, on the newer models, if you disconnect the battery, it doesn't get rid of the problem I corrected with avatar666s method - less than 24 hours is temporary, more than 24 hours lasts about 3 days... beware of connecting the battery without the key in it, as I got a nasty shock when the alarm started to draw juice... stupid computer nonsense...

stern271
30

Avatar666, this procedure for clearing code worked on my 2002 Frontier XE 3.3 liter.. Thanks !!!

tennesseeduke
60

avatar666 it work perfectly on my 05 Nissan Frontier LE 51000 miles.! :) Thanks, Tennesseeduke

HarryPuckerbutt
30

This worked on my 2007 Nissan Frontier. Thanks

mmorand
0

Who'd a thunk. Worked on my 2009 Frontier. The light didn't flash, but when I cranked it up, the Service Engine Soon light was gone. Thank you….

Troy Curtis
0

I have an 03 Frontier. I tried this 3 times. Not sure what I am doing wrong, but it did not work for me. I plan to take it to an auto parts store and have them run a check on it and see if they can turn it off for me.

211this
10

Disconnect the battery negative first then positive. Turnkey all the way until it feels like it's going to crank and leave it. Leave it for five seconds and turn key back off position and pull out of ignition. Reconnect the battery positive first then negative start truck no light.

02pathy
30

Reset my light after getting the code and now the SES light is intermittently blinking. Did the reset again and still got the same code as before 1 1 4 0 and still back to blinking again. Any ideas of why this might hapen? Does it really mean there is a serious problem with the car as I have read in other posts? The car is running normal.