When it rains my 02 Nissan Maxima has crazy electrical problems HELP!!!!

Crose420
0

Asked by Crose420 Mar 27, 2013 at 08:19 AM about the 2002 Nissan Maxima GXE

Everytime it rains fairly hard my 2002
Nissan maxima acts crazy. First off
the speedometer jumps up to
between 20 and 30 mph while still in
park, the electronic driver seat stops
working and then everytime you hit
the brakes the abs engages. On top
of that the car takes off in 2nd gear.
It's an automatic. So far the
mechanic has no idea what is wrong.
He has replaced the drivers side rear
speed sensor because he said it was
giving off a code. But that had not
fixed the problem. We realize
something's getting wet but have no
clue on where to start. Any ideas
would be greatly appreciated.

45,895

Follow the wiring harness from the engine compartment. It gets larger and it passes through the fire wall. Check for any moisture at the connectors. Put some dielectric grease on the connectors to seal out water and prevent corrosion. --- The wire continues inside under the dash. Look for evidence of a cowl leak. Unplug the connectors and dielectric grease the contacts there too.

14,285

First check and clean all electrical grounds in the engine compartment including the battery. You are stating the speedo and tranny and seat are acting up, so I would start checking connections inside next. You may need to remove carpet, seats, other interior components. You really need to check all of the connectors to everything, make sure they are clean, no corrosion, seal good and dry. Take a good look at wiring harnesses, water can enter them and travel through them causing all kinds of trouble. Make sure that all of the body drains are functioning and not plugged. This is going to be a lot of work, so I recommend that you get yourself a good shop manual with a wiring schematic and component locator, it will really help.