Turn the key, NOTHING.

Jagbone
50

Asked by Jagbone Mar 30, 2013 at 03:29 PM about the 2004 Nissan Pathfinder LE Platinum

Have to open door with the key- no keyless entry-  No door chime, no dome light or  horn - but jiggle
with the gear shift (in frustration) and eventually all comes back to  life. The radio presets are NOT lost!
What is  going on?  One suggestion is "IP control module going bad". I have verified all  battery cable
connects are solid. Thanks

56,885

Does the Pathfinder have a battery saver? Some cars have them and they work like you are describing. My GM vehicle will shut everything off until I hit the "Open" button on the inside of the door.

56,885

It appears the Pathfinder has a battery saver. Here's the results of a forum search. http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub- 8724957483960435%3Axsf3et-mw67&ie=ISO-8859- 1&q=battery+saver&sa=Search&siteurl=www.thenissanpath.com%2F& ref=www.info.com%2Fsearchw%3Fqkw%3DNissan%2BPathfinder%2 Bforum%26qcat%3Dweb%26q%3DNissan%2BPathfinder%2Bforum% 26qhqn%3DNissan%2BPathfinder%2Bforum%26KW%3DNissan%2B Pathfinder%2Bforum&ss=3089j934005j13#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=battery% 20saver&gsc.page=1

Best Answer
judge_roy

There exists a possibility the battery is kaput. If this is an OEM battery up in there is going to be trouble as recharge rates degrade over time 10% per year, put's your battery a long time dead...sorry~

Jagbone
50

Wow, That sounds great- but the link is freakin my browser out. Can you re post a breakdown of the search for me? I paste that and get an error (Hope its something I can fix !!? THANLS Tenspeed!!

Jagbone
50

Batt is at 13 volts. I put charger on it (in spite of the 13v. voltage and not loosing the presets) and it only charged for 10 minutes. Thanks

judge_roy

I think it should be 13.5 volts and if you did a load test (destructive for a venerable battery) you could see how long it could take to drain down to nothing. If it still kicks the starter round n round and isn't thirsty for more charge, guess it's still okay despite the numbers~ with the alternator charging will test 14.5 volts. guess it must be your disbler...yay.~

Jagbone
50

I found one post (bing search) regarding Bat. Saver but it wasn't helpful. Where it can be found, how to diagnose if bad, etc. etc. http://forums.nicoclub.com ....

Jagbone
50

The attempt to jump start at work netted ZERO effect. No clicking, no nuthin'! It acts as if the bat. is disconnected but not removed or dead. Messin with the gear shift got it to start - hear the door open chimes all of a sudden ( with the wrecker poised to take off the lot - lol)

judge_roy

did not want to simply stuff a brand new battery in there? not so bad if you wear leather gloves for the surgery~

judge_roy

they are going to want your old one for responsible environmental impact~

Jagbone
50

If the battery were bad enough to not power the horn or the dome light, do you think the radio presets would hold?

judge_roy

No..no presets, what good are they anyways if she ain't comin' on? get yourself a $125 interstate battery...don't mess around with anything lesser!

judge_roy

If you can't afford nuthin' right now stick the one you got on overnite charge and keep your fingers crossed, there's always the pickNpull for about $40~

judge_roy

...may as well train a hose on the battery and terminals to blast off the corrosion before gettin' all in there with your hands~ clean off the terminals with a wirebrush disassemble the other end of the black wire where it connects to the chassis, and clean that one to both the frame and the wire (and the bolt too, if rusted)~

judge_roy

I know you said "connections are solid", but three hundred cold-cranking amps has to get thru there!

Jagbone
50

Thanks for the replies JRB!

James Loewen
75

Check the wiring under the gearshift console.

judge_roy

my Dad informs me (35 years as an electrochemical engineer for car batteries) that the batteries are no longer made from LEAD, but a tin/antimony alloy....and will stop taking a charge ten percent per year...if yours is five...it's time for a NEW battery~

Jagbone
50

TRADED the Pathfinder 5 months ago for a Volvo C70- Man this is one nice upgrade. @Judge Roy=- Now I know why Batt. replacements are almost predictable! Thanks