2005 Nissan Altima S 2.5 engine

Threeheinz
0

Asked by Threeheinz Feb 08, 2013 at 07:23 PM about the 2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I am the daughter of a mechanic (may dad rest in peace). Looking for a first car for my son.  My heading is spinning.
Going to look at one tomorrow, but now I do not know what to think from the research I have done. Looks like
engine failure is a big issue. Along with cam and crankshaft sensors failing, causing car to quit when driving. i have
also read about convertors coming apart and high oil usage before engine failure. input would be great. It is a one
owner 2005 Nissan Altima S with 2.5 engine, 83,000 miles. Carfax even shows oil changes, always done at Nissan
dealer. Tire rotations even on record. But no recall work shown. Thanks.

7jimmy7
10,615

all that and your still going to look at it? sounds like a bad choice, and kinda costly for a first car,most newer cars are possible headaches,a new driver does a lot of unknowing abuse,well so do old drivers come to think of it now, like the red lite came on I just thought id make it home,or im locked out what else but break the window, woh! that corner was tight,just a scuff,get something sturdy,front wheeldrive ,reliable and easy use,safe can help sometime,for less cost a ford fusion or chev. cavilier is liked by many,the imports have a high value from reliability, but wont stand abuse ,didn't you see ferris buellers day off!

Threeheinz
0

Oh yes, I saw Ferris! Son won't fit in the cars you mention. He is over 6'2" size 14 EEEE shoe. You see my dilemma. They (dealership) is asking $7,000.- for it, 83,000 miles. He has been driving 2 1/2 years.

7jimmy7
10,615

thats no delemma most people look up to him, my guess is then the nissan would work with normal maintenance

Jason Miller
245

I'm actually surprised, KBB.com rates this car at $7600 to $8000 through private party purchase. So it seems to be a fair price, even through a dealer, though it is expensive. For what it's worth , my granddad has an '04 Altima w/ the 2.5 S package and it's done great for him. Honestly, I don't think he drives it enough (he drives his truck much more often). But things can happen w/ any car. What I'd say is make sure you teach your son like your dad taught you (what these lights mean, when you can drive it home, when you can, when things start squealing what it could be and should you park and have it towed or drive it). I'm sure he's got a cell phone, make sure he always has it. And since you mention it usually starts to suck oil before it blows, make sure he regular checks the oil (monthly or so, and tire pressures and other fluids too). Since you've got all the records there and they look good IMO, I'd go for it.