Leaking antifreeze sometimes and timing is rattling

ssmith0273
0

Asked by ssmith0273 Jan 02, 2014 at 08:42 PM about the 2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL

I am buying an 06 Nissan Maxima SL. It had a puddle of antifreeze under the car one
day so I took it to a radiator shop. They inspected and said it was the water pump.
Took it to my trusted mechanic and he took it apart to fix the water pump but said my
timing gears were about to bust apart, the timing chain was loose, tensioner was all
the way out as far as it can go and some part was broke. They couldn't fix the water
pump due to the damage to the timing. Now the leak has stopped by the water pump
and started by radiator. Took it back to radiator shop and they said I need a new
radiator. The problem is that it is holding antifreeze now and only steams every once in
a while. Question one is : Could someone tell me what parts I need to buy for the
timing issue. Question 2: What is happening with the leaky antifreeze only leaking
sometimes and not bad enough to leak on the ground anymore?

123,775

You said you were buying it? Don't.

ssmith0273
0

The first day I got it the transmission went out. The finance company went through with the loan before I could stop them so I am stuck with the car or risk a repo on my credit. I am kind of stuck with the car. I am just trying to figure out how much it is going to cost me to fix it.

123,775

Ouch you didn't mention that. You got hosed. Sorry can't help you with the parts list. I can only guess from where I'm at but the coolant can be leaking from the timing cover or lower intake. Have your trusted mechanic make the repair to the timing gears and chain., then fix the leak. I'm wondering if it's that bad, the whole engine need replacing. I had a friend who just did this on his Honda and it cost him over a 1K. Maybe put a used engine in it might be cheaper. Check with your mechanic. Good Luck!

ssmith0273
0

Thanks. I had a different mechanic tell me that it may have messed with the cams as well. I am thinking about having him just repair it and restore the engine for a couple hundred more.