Why won't my engine idle on its own ?

albsure
0

Asked by albsure Aug 19, 2011 at 09:11 PM about the 1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse Base

Hi guys, I can start this car and as long as I play with the gas and keep it running until the engine warms up, it will idle and run smooth after a while. during this warm up period it spits and sputters like its running out of fuel. occasionally after a long period of idle it will start to run stupid again. i would really appreciate any and all ideas and input into solving this problem. thank you very much for sharing any thoughts on this.Al

Brandon Geist
35

You know I had this same problem with my eclipse for the longest time! I finally took it to a friend of mine who is a specialist on these cars and come to find out the spark plugs were bad plus the timing was off alittle bit! After fixing the timing everything ran like clock work! Also check you fuel filter and make sure fuel is goin through properly.

LAVO
25

My suspicion is pointing to the IAC, You may also want to look at the throttle body to ensure moving parts are not sticking.