my 1991 3000gt sl have new spark plugs, wires, fuel pump, fuel filter and cranks and cranks but not fires, i checked the coil with a spark tester and they all have power meaning that the car have spark(i guess), i put a octane booster for the old gasoline, do i still have to check the module? what about the main relay? or is the ECU bad? i started it with starting fluid b4 i replace the fuel pump and filter, but after that the car doesnt start even if i spray starting fluid, help please u can send me a direct answer to dragonr23@hotmail.com thanx

Rafael Barradas
50

Asked by Rafael Mar 06, 2013 at 06:05 PM about the 1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT 2 Dr SL Hatchback

judge_roy

Give us a few trouble codes...a few breadcrumbs of information. It's really not convenient for us to lauch an email, no reason we cannot do it here in this forum. Ya tryin' to keep a secret about it.....peculiar.

Rafael Barradas
50

my appologies, no trying to hide anything... well the car is a 91 mitsubishi 3000gt sl: it was without use for over 2 years, I replaced the wires and spark plugs, n it started wit starting spray, but just for a minute, checked d fuel rail and was no fuel, replace d fuel pump and fuel filter, then there were fuel n spark but still not run no even with starting spray now, checked for spark n coils spark looks wak tho, I renoved d main relay n d module to get them test, any ideas?

judge_roy

Think my answer got cut off, but maintain your battery with a wirebrush and garden hose! take off both terminals and wirebrush the posts and the terminals too (they make a special brush for this, you could use a rag) follow the black wire to the connection to the chassis, and to the engine. All must have GOOD clean power!

Rafael Barradas
50

i tryed getting ground to the engine block with the jumping cables but still nothing, but ill check the ground wiring tomorrow, battery (-) terminal was replace too i forgat to mention it, ill check power on the 3 front fuel injectors as well incase, is there a security system locking the injectors?

57,915

Did you platinum plugs? If not put some in. Are the wires on correctly and are you sure? One fouled plug per coil will cause nether plug on that coil from firing. Had new plugs in mine and it sit for a couple weeks while I did a head job and when I tried to start when finished with work it would not. Replaced the plugs again and it been running even since. (My parts house allowed me to swap at no charge) Spark tester might be able to identify this issue, as bob mentioned these cars are real picky about a good ground. Check and clean all grounds at battery, frame and motor.

Rafael Barradas
50

i put duble platinums spark plugs, the wiring is correct bc i install one at the time, i just replace the fuel regulator too, checked the ground wires, replace main relay(in case) and camshaft position sensor bc it was old and rusted, and ignition control module, why i cant see all the answer here? what do u mean by: Did you prime the fuel rail ?

57,915

Loosen fuel line at rail. Have someone turn car over till you have fuel coming out. Use caution not to spray it all over. When you put upper intake back on did you use new gaskets and is it torked to specs?

57,915

Also the throttle body. Did you use new gasket and is it tightened to specs?

Rafael Barradas
50

ill try that tomorrow, i put a new gasket on intake manifold but did not torqued it :( , (iam getting headaches with this car tryin to figure it out)

57,915

Try not to get frustrated. These are fun cars. Double check all vacuum lines and electrical plugs on the intake. If upper intake is not pulled down flush and tight on lower intake it will have a vacuum leak. If for some reason you take upper intake back off remove and clean the plugs under it just to be sure they are ok. We will get it running again.

Rafael Barradas
50

its alive !!!!!!!!!! well actually it was for a few minutes, then it shock and now it wont turn, is it posible that engine is gone? :/

Daniel Foster
3,455

im sure its still fine ,, what did you do that made it start ??

judge_roy

"it shock"...do you mean it shook?---shock leads me to believe a high-voltage leak has occured...you're just jerkin' our chain at this point!

Rafael Barradas
50

Well... It is stock as far I know bc it won't turn, starter n battery r good; what done to make start was to removed the spark plugs n replace them again, n like triple check d fuses, relays and I emty the fuel tank and put some fresh fuel

57,915

Is it even trying to turn over? Can you here starter trying to turn it over or is there no sound at all?

Rafael Barradas
50

Yes it started again, but I towed it to my friends shop for a full diagnostic just to make sure and find out that I was right that it have a bad ECU that was making injectors to no stop spraying fuel, so now I have to buy a new/use ECU and yes the TCU is bad as well for a long time :/ (I already knew tho)