Ok I have a 1992 mitsubishi eclipse gs turbo. It has been sitting up for 10 years. I replaced the ecm computer and the fuel pump relay . It still won't crank. My fuel pump still isn't comming on and I have checked all the fuses that I know to check. The car tries to crank when I pour a little gas in the cylinder. It is driving me crazy trying to figure this out. Any suggestions on what to do now??

Terry Pitts
30

Asked by Terry Mar 08, 2013 at 08:47 AM about the 1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Turbo

How do I know if my injectors are stopped up or not?  The fuel
pump should be comming on its new so is the relay. Whats wrong?

45,755

Some mits. Fuel pumps do not prime when key is turned on. Try loosening the fuel line from the fuel rail and have someone try to start it. Use caution not to spray fuel everywhere. How many miles is on car?

45,755

Why was the car parked? Did you put new plugs in it? Is air filter clean? Did you replace fuel filter to?

judge_roy

What? Why? you replaced these items per which indicator? the Check Engine Light...did you have your trouble codes read? Why was this buggy set aside for ten years? Did a timing belt jump at tooth? What were the trouble codes? really want to help, but we've got to know what is going on here. Let's start with the basics, Air, Fuel, Spark and timing- You have air-flow...whether or not it is meetered or measured by the MAF is not important right now, You have fuel...apparently because the pump is running..Do you have spark?...apparently not- Not only may there be no spark, but the valve timing and silent cam timing (what controls the spark) may be not in the correct places....let's just make sure that you have spark...then let's continue after that~

Terry Pitts
30

Ok I am getting spark but no fuel to the cylinders. I pulled the hose off the fuel rail but I'm getting no fuel because my new fuel pump is not comming on. I got new plugs. A new pump relay. The car was sitting up because my friend got a dui. When he got his licence back he had a mechanic look at it he said replace the computer and fuel pump. I did that. I think the mechanic did something wrong to the car but anyway. Is there a emergency engine shutoff switch? If so where is it? I'm still confused

Terry Pitts
30

The car only has 99000 miles on it

45,755

Fuel will only come out while motor is turning over. I would double check the fuses and the connection on the top of the fuel tank. I would then check for voltage at the connection on top of the tank to insure that the pump is getting power while motor is being turned over.

45,755

Oh and this is probably not your problem but with that many mile if timing belt has not been replace I would change it soon. With dohc if it breaks you will bend several of your valves.

45,755

Also early mits. are real funny about having a good ground. All sorts of weird things can happen if it has a bad connection somewhere. I would double check and clean all ground connections at battery, frame and motor.

judge_roy

I was just going to suggest that in my job as a mechanic ran into a "ECU" at fault only to find a bad ground to engine and chassis.

judge_roy

put three in there and the problem still existed. I take it you did not find the magic fuel enabling button....will investigate~

judge_roy

No button. A fuel relay, though-

Terry Pitts
30

The car had been taken real good care of up to 79000 miles. Got all the service records on oil changes, plugs, wires,timing belt,tires,ect.. fuel is making it to the fuel rail how can I be for sure the injectors are not stopped up without taking off the fuel rail? I just can't figure the Dang thing out. I know a little about working on cars but my right hand man (my cousin) passed away from leukemia last August. He was my go to guy if I had a problem. Now I just feel like I'm lost! U guys have been a big help so far. Oh yea didn't find that magical button neither .

Terry Pitts
30

I only paid $125 for the car and I have allready put about 400 more in it. Figured it would have at least fired up by now.

a1mobileauto
10

I'm not sure if that car has a fuel cut-off switch or not, but if fuel is getting to the fuel rail, then that's not an issue. The next thing you should check out is "are the injectors being fired"! Have a friend crank the engine while you listen to the injectors with a mechanic's stethoscope or if you don't have the stethoscope use a piece of vacuum hose. Put one end to your ear and the other end to the injector body. when the engine is cranked you should hear a repeating clicking sound.

45,755

Pull out your plugs and clean them. If old gas was in the line they could be fouling out. Also smell them for gas. With plugs out try to start motor several times. Should be able to smell fresh gas coming out plug hole

a1mobileauto
10

My guess is that you won't be hearing any clicking sound. If not, then check the wires going to the injectors. On each injector there are two wires. One that should light up with positive voltage when the key is turned to the on position and the other that carries a puslating negative signal when the engine is spinning.

45,755

After it had sit for a year did you remove all the old gas from the tank or just add some new? If did not remove I would. These cars are real picky about the octane level and probably will not start with any bad gas in tank or fuel lines.

Terry Pitts
30

Yes I took tank off and cleaned it. Andused fuel pump to flush out lines. I pulled hose off fuel rail and turned key over. Changer filter, plugs ,wires and still not hitting. How can I tell if the injectors are stopped up? Is there any way to clean them if they are?

45,755

Not sure other than pulling them out. i would Pull out your plugs and clean them. Also smell them for gas. With plugs out try to start motor several times. Should be able to smell fresh gas coming out plug hole. Might try pouring some sea foam in each plug hole and turning motor over a few times then let sit for an hour or so before trying to start it again. On another note. Have you checked compression? With it having sit for so long might have a valve or two not seating properly and not allowing it to reach the proper compression. The sea foam method mentioned will help with this to if its an issue.

Deafinite
0

If the engine cranks, I think it can be a starter that needs to be replaced.

judge_roy

If the motor is locked up, he's gonna need a tad more than a new starter.

Terry Pitts
30

Thanks for all the info guys! I pulled the injectors and blew them out with an air hose put them in and the car fired right up! And it runs like a beast! Not bad for $125! Well now all I have invested in it is about $900. Not bad considering the car runs as good as it does and only has 99,000 miles. Thanks for all the help!

45,755

Glad you got it going.

sitro42013
30

my 92 gs was sitting for 5-6 didnt run because needed a new tranny, finally talked my grama into letting me fix the car. so i replaced the tranny had a hard time starting, got more gas and some quick start fluid. started right up after that, but then died out after idling for about 10 seconds. started it again and there was a flapping noise. my timing belt skipped due to a leaked auto tensioner. the timing on that engine is very critical and precise measurements were required when re timing the engine. BTW the balance shaft and camshaft timing belts go out every 60,000 miles. and there was a recall on the auto tensioner the old ones were 91mm and didnt give enough tension, 90 and 91 brand new eclipses were dying out after only 30,000 miles so mitsubishi made the auto tensioner longer to 100mm the new one is required now and if it shows sign of leakage it must be replaced or the tensioner puller with the rocker arm will loose tension therefore the belt becoming loose. that part and those 2 timing belts are hard to get to, but i would suggest checking them at least. i have a new engine from japan had only 30,000 miles on it when installed, drove it for a month the tranny took a shit and so did the auto tensioner. 3 bills for the tranny and the tensioner was 120 and both belts came out to 65 total

sitro42013
30

every 30,000 miles the most important replacements were the fuel filter, spark plugs, and to inspect and replace if necessary the spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor. and also check the 2 drive belts(power steering pulley to first water pump pulley) 2nd drive belt is alternator to crackshaft pulley and the air conditioning belt from crankshaft pulley around the air conditioning pulley then up around the tensioner pulley

Justino Sosa
95

have u checked the mpi relay or power transistor

TerryHays
0

It the fuel injectors are not firing I would first trace down your creakshaft sensor and make sure its working right and timed right. I also have a 1992 Eclipse GSX and like so many others have told you first thing I would do it take about 100$ and 4 hours and change all 3 timing belts because if you dont and you get it to running you could bust a belt and all your work would be for nothing because being a zero tolerance motor if it does fire and start to run if 1 belt goes they all go and when that happens your likely to knock the top out of some pistons right away and I mean as soon as the belt goes so does the pistons. And you can get a book on the Eclipse that actually shows all the infectors and go to a part store and get a null light that plugs into the injectors and shows if they are being fired and if not you can trace them back to the ecm and see if its telling them to fire. I have been all through mine several times and had to replace the ECM because it has 3 capacitors that goes bad and the ECM fails to work. They are known for this problem and about 1.50 fixes the ECM but you have to know which 3 it is. Good luck my friend because I would not trade my baby for anything in this world for a runner for sure. I like to cruise in mine around 145 or so is when mine levels out on the interstate of course.