Whats the top speed

3000kid
0

Asked by 3000kid Nov 12, 2010 at 12:37 PM about the 1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT 2 Dr SL Hatchback

Hello my name is Tyler and i just bought my first car witch is a 93 3000gt sl and ive got it up to 136mph... and it would have kept going so i just want to know the top speed. the only aftermarket part is a K&K cold air intake

Ethan Dresselhaus
55

Ah that seems really unnecessary how do you know what tires he has there are so many tires out there anymore that are rated to at least that I am think that his SL could do that I have a 2002 Eclipse GT with V rated tires I have done 140+ (Track day) and the SL has around 20 more Hp then the Eclipse so its very possible.

Clint Gardner
225

It also weighs a lot more than your DSM.

Clint Gardner
225

The K&N intake is adding a negligible amount of power. I also doubt you were going nearly 140. Above 100 MPH the speedometer isn't very accurate. I don't know the top speed of an SL. However, before you go trying that again at least make sure that your tires are rated for that speed and that your car is up to snuff.

Clint Gardner
225

Wow, what a load of crap. The top speed of a stock VR-4 and the R/T TT is 160 MPH. You're trying to tell us that you almost got that in a stock SL. I say stock because those three things you listed did absolutely NOTHING. Even if they did it wouldn't be enough to cover that kind of gap. 1. A cold air intake will not net you much more than 2 HP on an N/A 3S. In actuality, it was most likely sucking in hotter, less dense air, which will decrease your power. 2. There is no such thing. With a statement like that I doubt you even know how your spark plugs work let alone the entire ignition system. I seriously want to explain to you why your statement is crap, but I feel I would be wasting my time. 3. Running 101 octane gas will NOT increase power. Higher octane fuels are harder to combust. This helps combat pre-detonation. That way you can run more power safely, but it will not increase power on it's own. Stop making stupid statements. You never did this. Stop lying to people!

Cody Webb
70

I thought crap speed claims like this would die down after these "Fast and the Furious" teenagers had a chance to grow up. You insecure a bit, pal? Let me give you some advice, if you don't want people to call you out on your baloney, then I suggest you keep your outlandish claims to yourself. If you bring your claims to public forum, you open it up to the bright light of scrutiny. I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt, so I did some research. Looks like the commonly accepted top speed of this car all over the internet is 130-140. 140mph to be attained in the most perfect circumstances, like the car is in perfect condition at sea level without a headwind. The amount of power to go from 140mph to 160mph is exponential... It's not like the power difference required to go from 60 to 80. Due to drag, friction and many other variables, it can take more than 100 extra hp to go from 140 to 160, which is why it's conceivable that the top speed of a stock VR4 is 160. Still giving you the benefit of the doubt, I want to believe that you were going downhill or your speedometer was off... Possibly, incorrect tire size. So please, quit embarrassing your self unless you have proof to back it up.

Shawn Riordan
65

I've gotten my 96 Nissan Altima to 140 yes the governor has been removed etc.. So, I know the SL and VR4 will do well over that since my almost stock Altima will do it with a 2.4L 4 cylinder. Quit being haters. Yes he does need the right kind of tires if hes gonna be a dumbass again though.

Shawn Riordan
65

oh ya i have the 3000GT SL as well lol.

Cody Webb
70

Ok, I really decided to waste some time and research this. I looked up the gear ratios, drag coefficient and other detailed specs on the SL. I also did a lot of boring math that I won't bother to confuse you simpletons with that. The SL has a top gear ratio of 0.741 and a final drive of 4.153. Couple that with a tire, say 225/55/16. At 7000rpm (redline of the 24V NA engine) these wheels would be spinning at 174.21mph. Keep in mind, the peak power output at sea level with an engine in perfect condition and an ambient air temperature of 68 degrees faherneheit is 220hp at 6000rpm and 201ft/lbs at 4500rpm. If you calculate the power required to overcome the drag coefficient of a 3000GT (.390) with a frontal area measuring 2.009m(squared), 220hp could propel a 3000GT to a theoretical limit of 147.91mph. If you calculate the gearing and rpm of the engine, 6000rpm would have the tires spinning at 149.33mph this number would seem to coincide with 147.91mph figure accquired from calculating max power with distance moved, speed moving and drag at those speeds. Using this same math and the VR4's known stock top speed of 160, the math comes out nearly identical when considering the other data like 296hp at 6000rpm, drag coefficient and other relevant data. The VR4's transmission also has a theoretical limit where the top speed would be around 178mph if the engine produced an additional 119hp for a total of 415hp. So in order for the SL to go 156mph, it would need to be producing somewhere around 287hp. So long as all that data matches up with his claim, I could believe it. A SL with the NA 24V, "hot air intake", "racing plugs" and all the other useless crap his engine is NOT producing 287hp. Again, all this math is assuming PERFECT, wind tunnel like conditions and perfect circumstances with engine geometry. I could speculate on the drag, gear ratios and other circumstances behind your claim with the Altima. Looking at the basic specs of the car, I think your 140mph claim could hold some water. Though at that speed, the speedometer could be more than 10mph off. Especially in 1996, the precision of speed measurment devices in economy cars was negligible. All things considered, I think you were probably more likely in the 130mph range. In conclusion, you and the idiot you are defending are full of shit.

Cody Webb
70

I just remembered... I forgot to add that I accounted for a 10% drivetrain loss. That's a conservative guess and is probably more like 15%.

Shawn Riordan
65

buy me a camera ill tape it lol.

Cody Webb
70

Can you actually re read and comprehend what I was saying? Pillock.

Clint Gardner
225

Sure, YOU get a camera and prove to us that your SL is completely stock. Then get someone with a radar gun to prove your speed as your speedometer is in no way accurate. No factory speedometer is. Sadly this is more work than you'll be willing to do only to find out that your car probably won't even get close to 140. That goes for you Altima too.

Shawn Riordan
65

I completly understand it is hard to reach those sort of spores in a normal street car. Lowering the car does help. I'm not saying my SL or Altima will but they are both lowered and rated for those type of speeds. I merely wanted a free camera lol. Ya the speddo in the altima was probably only 130ish but it was past straight up and down. That's in a 2.4L dual overhead car why couldn't 2 more cylinders and .6L do mor than than that s all I'm saying

Shawn Riordan
65

Speeds.. Not spores damn iPhone

Cody Webb
70

Because cars don't equally scale that way. If you had two identical cars IE: 4 cylinder Altima and a 6 cylinder altima the same year, then it would make sense. Does that mean a 7.5L Lincoln V8 460 will do 280mph on the assumption that because it has 4 more cylinders than your Altima and 5.0 more liters?

Shawn Riordan
65

true but the Lincoln town car also weighs 80 billion tons. Exaggerating there lol. These 2 weigh close to the same.

Clint Gardner
225

That was his point. He was trying to show you that you can't make the comparison because there are too many variables. It an example of apples to oranges. Even a Mustang GT in the 90s couldn't muster 140 MPH with the wipes removed and aerodynamic dead spots covered up. Trust us, an SL and an Altima aren't going to do it.

Chase Sutherland
3,965

i thought those mustangs could hit just over 140? i hit 140 in an 89 1LE IROC that had a bunch of mods. ive done a tad over 150 in my 04 gto. hit nearly 130(limited) in my 300C. and 187 on my gsxr 1000. (all the speeds listed are off of the speedo so none were actually probably going that fast) im agreeing with you 100% that no SL or altima is hitting the speeds these people are saying.

Shawn Riordan
65

Gotcha. unless modded.

Casey Beedle
55

I think you guys should take this to 3SGTO.ORG or 3SI.ORG. you will have plenty of help

snd
0

Let me start off by saying, you blogger s are quite entertaining when all porn has gotten boring after a while. I too own a 92 3000gt sl and I've gone 100+ on the highway. Not to say I wanted more speed, not having a radar just in case of smokey tailing me, but, you honestly believe that the 3000gt can go that fast, 150+ m.p.h. Ok now, lol the only way that is possible would be to nitro spray it while turnnig on either a electric turbo on a stock or aftermarket intake. Now it does help to have JDM fuel injectors!! Of course 3000gt's are capable of going over 150+ mph with the right mods. 3sx online has the fastest 3000gt sl; a ten second car!! Sometimes you don't know if the fuel injectors were modded, so, with that said who knows. ever seen a 3000gt go against exotic cars.........it's on youtube, So, I wouldn't be surprised if it did. That is nice algebra , but, you forget about the fuel injectors which is very crucial for access to extreme speeds.

papa

do you like liveing????slow down,life is to short to live in the fast lane.your first car should have been something slower.

66alan
15

I'm just going to go ahead and say I was in exactly the same position as Tyler, and had the same speeds and everything. So what if his speedometer is off a bit? He was just curious about the top speed. Why would he waste his time to get on here and brag to people he doesn't even know? Grow up and just answer his question. You don't need to rip him down just to raise yourselves up. specifically Clint and Cody.

3000kid
0

Thanks to the few to the rest haha wow more stuck up bitches than sority house get the fuck over it the speedo is probably off because i have big rims. And did i sould like i was bragging even tho im a teenager and your a bunch of tiny dick adults with high school kids car grow the fuck up :D

littlelioness
20

um, maybe i shouldnt post this, I have a 99 3kgt.SL ive had mine maxed out. 5th gear 7200 rpms, my car dynos out at 336hp at the front tires. yes its modded, so what, but according to my GPS. not the speedo,(cause it is flawed) top speed of 176 mph.. then my gps wouldnt read any more.. is it possible for a stock 3kgt to do 150+ ? hell no.. but with the right mods, tiresize, gear ratios, weight reductions ect... it possible to make just about any thing go fast..

littlelioness
20

oh, im a girl, and this is my car..

Enforcer
0

ok everyone kiss my ass, I'm an Illinois State Trooper whom also ownes a 1992 3000GT SL. I am the first and only owner to this particular vehicle, I have absolutely no mods and have never raced my car. However, I have indeed driven it a little hard at times but has not been abused. I decided to put it to the test since I have access to a speed gun. I had a fellow officer from my dept clock my speeds. while we're on our cell phone (bluetooth), we related each others speed. Sadly to say that my speedo read 127mph and radar speed gun read 120mph. The inaccuracy started after 108mph and the vehicle was not so stable after 112mph. My vehicle has always been garage kept, dealer maintained and has never seen rain nor snow. This test was done on 4 new set of Riken Raptor tires (W rated), and with a fairly smooth road.

Theradead
0

Anyone wnt to discuss top speed of a '93 pont grand am 2.3L 4cyl On a good day i had her going (according to speedo) 115mph, stopped there because i didn't feel like going any faster Is that viable? It as stock, no mods at all, just an aftermarket spoiler and only 50000 miles on the car right now

toohotty21
0

i also have a 93 300gt and i have gotten it to peg out at 160 i also dropped fifteen grand into the motor. i'm pushin 20lbs of boost, i have 15lbs of nos, cold air intake systum. i had it lowerd, with racing low profile tires, could i get it to go any faster than i am. its got around 340 HP

Enforcer
0

Toohotty21, I am sorry to disappoint you, but my profession is in Law Enforcement not an auto technician. Can some one help with Toohotty21's answer? I'd like to know.

Busaboy176
0

Never heard so much shit...from most of you on here. Grow up and stop talking crap.... I work at and tune super bikes (all are now factory restricted to 187mph) and have seen speeds over 200mph on a Suzuki Hayabusa 1300R,and over 180mph on a Yamaha R1 I also have a 3000gto t/ turbo and it will do 160mph all day long.. Toohotty21, if you have spent 15,grand -20lbs boost- 15lbs, etc, your car would be pushing out more than 340bhp....standard Gto T/turbo is nearly 300bhp, and if you change to 13t turbos (only standard in UK spec 3000gt) ,intake system and exhaust system,fuel system it will push around 400bhp....

kwarbogast
0

i have a 1994 3000gt sl and had the speedo reading 140 and was still pulling strong i have k7n filter with stock tube and box high flow cats and greddy mufflers. i doubt that was accurate but my speedo said it.

Leroy Roberts
20

OK people I have a 92 vr4 stock on a good day this cruise at 160 so people get those car check out your losing boost

Daniel Foster
3,445

littlelioness what mods you have that are making 336 whp on an NA ? you have a dyno to back that up ?

cookiedough
20

get yourself some 11:1 92mm pistons, nitrous, lsd (limited slip diff), aluminum crank pulley, stage 2 clutch, and everything else you'll need to rebuild your engine. freeze plugs, cam caps, main bolts, oem gaskets, ect... all of which will cost you about 6200 bucks. now tell me I cant do 140 lol ill smoke the flesh off your faces.

Daniel Foster
3,445

stock NA 3000gt's and stealths already have 11:1 pistons from the factory if your talking about dropping them into a turbo that's some bad bad BAD advice lol also a stage 2 clutch is not gonna make you go any faster than a stock clutch and is not needed on a sub 300hp car

cookiedough
20

stock NON-turbo is 10:1 not 11:1 and unless you feel like burning threw your clutch you better upgrade it, unless you drive an automatic lol. turbo pistons are 8:1, in case you didn't know so no im not talking about TT at all.

Daniel Foster
3,445

people need to read this link very informative and wrote by a very knowledgeable preson compiled by tons of experienced builders http://www.daveblack.net/asp/3SiFAQ.asp

cookiedough
20

you can put nitrous in anything stock as long as it is a WET system, if you wanna go DRY you gotta upgrade your injectors. NX offers a kit that runs 20 hp per piston, any 3000gt NA or TT 93 and up have forged rods and crank. you don't have to upgrade anything to put NITROUS in your car. please don't say NOS nobody uses that crap, only FNF lol.

57,845

Please post pictures of your cars. That way when you wrap it around a tree at 140+ you will have something to remember it by. Lol. Sure hope all this is being done at the track. Safety first guys. These cars are a lot of fun just remember there are us old farts out there that might not be quick enough to get out of your way.

Daniel Foster
3,445

what do you mean by 20hp per cylinder ?

Daniel Foster
3,445

so the people that run nitrous oxide systems don't use NOS ? I thought that's what it was referred to, its an abbreviation not a thing lol

57,845

Thanks. She just a bone stock 91 sl that I put back together for my 15 year old sons first car. I am currently looking for a 91-93 vr4 that has not been raped to start my own build. And yes I know what she will do and that scares me knowing he will have it next year. He has helped turn the wrenches on this build and appreciates the fact that shes an old car that still turns almost every head that she passes.

cookiedough
20

that's pretty cool man, I thank you for bringing her back to life. 3000gt's still get mad love even after 22years. if your going to rebuild a vr4 man much props that's a lot of work, 3sx.com is a huge help when it comes to parts.

57,845

Ok. Hopefully I will find one soon. Most have either already been redone or been wrapped around a tree. Looking for that little old man that has one in his shed looking to get her gone. Lol. Drive safe.

cookiedough
20

hahaha right those are the best finds. tell your kid if you drive fast then no women can see you drive'n this bad ass car. can't pick up a girl doin 150mph. my dad told me that, it made sense to me when was I was in high school lol

57,845

Yes he enjoys the slow cruise as I call it. Easing into a parking lot real slow picking a spot that is out in the open. Doing all of this as if you own all the asphalt in the lot. Seriously turns heads. Lol. Got to just love these little cars.

Bbush91
5

The 3000gt will hit more then 140 cuz I had my up to 137 before I back it down

Daniel Foster
3,445

the speedometer is off a bit ya know ,,, its not totally accurate so your not going as fast as it says you are

57,845

You so correct Daniel. Oh by the way I got dibs on thier parts when they wrap them around a tree. That's the car parts and not body parts.

Steve Renshaw
0

I got 93 sl....i get up tp 120 easy n even was rippin at 130 once...o its stock.

Daniel Foster
3,445

the speedometer is about 10% off on these cars so when you are going 136 your only going about 123 mph

mmalevolent
0

I have a mostly stock 1991 3000gt sl, on flat-land it will easily hit 120 by the speedo, but won't accelerate anymore...plenty of pedal left, and another gear, downhill I have broke 130 by the speedo, but once again no faster even though there is still pedal and another gear....I assume I have a speed limiter?

keithvinson
0

I have a fully stock 94 sl automatic trans I have had it to 142 and could have kept going. It dint have a lot of pull left but it had some

Marlene Coles
0

I have a 93 3000 gt sl and I've had mine to 143.

bruzin10
35

I got a 92 mitsubishI 3000gt sl 5 speed standard that will do 135 with the 5th gear out and only running 5000 rps it's not impossible mine is completly stock besides spark plugs and some gears :p I love these cars doing a tt engine swap to it next