I have a 1999 eclipse gs 2.0 engine 5 speed trans. I love my car its my first car I bought with my own hard worked money but after reading some questions and answers I'm not sure about my car anymore. Is there anything I can do to the motor and trans to get more performance and still have good gas mileage but not spend a fortune? Or am I better off getting something else?

AdamLS1
0

Asked by AdamLS1 Dec 25, 2012 at 07:21 AM about the 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

John Leone
4,535

gas mileage differs due to maintenance, and driver style!!!! You have a decent car, keep up with mileage and the timing belt services!!! tires inflated, and what made you doubt the car? as far as performance, have a goal, an idea of what you will be happy with your car being able to do. Only then will you decide if the one you have is capable, or another would do the job better....make sense?

Best Answer
John Sofia
0

Injen rd short ram intake, new high flow cat by magnaflow Nd exhaust system from header down. And get computer chip for gas milage your car is a gem i got 2 and get 30 mpg

Ryan Beltz
205

aem v2 cold air intake and exhaust will give you better mpg and more HP :)

AdamLS1
0

I completely agree on the mainance and driver part. I was taugh by an old professional truck driver on how to save fuel ( gas ) by gradually bringing up the rpms as u rise through the gears and by never letting rpms get very high, using momentum of heals and predicting tracking redlight changes. I check my tire pressure Atleast every other trip. And bc of a all oil leak I check the oil Atleast once a week sometimes twice. But I prob should check on the timing belt. I know I have a good car as is, I hear and read, there very reliable if treated rite, but my idea with the car was to put a bigger engine and a more sporty trans in it, like the 2.4 turbo charge and 6 speed trans. But what do I know I'm a young adult. Thank you guys for all yalls help and I will forsure try some your ideas. Keep up the good work, we all appreciate yalls time and answers.

Ryan Beltz
205

not a problem man and if i was you id just bore out your 420a to a 2.4l instead of swapping it to the v6 if that was your plan save you 1 hell of a mess with wiring and everything and your honestly better of with the 5 speed trans. just get a light weight flywheel and stage 2 or 3 clutch and some good trans fluid. if you need anything in the future dnt be afraid to ask me ill help you my best and will let you know if i dnt have a answer i wont bs you you have a good day man