HOW TO FIX FRONT END SHAKE WHEN BRAKING?

3Dimensions
60

Asked by 3Dimensions Oct 13, 2009 at 11:27 AM about the 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

HOW TO FIX THE FRONT END SHAKE, WHEN BRAKING?

WHEN PRESSURE IS APPLIED TO THE BRAKE PEDAL, THE FRONT END OF THE CAR SHAKES BADLY. THE FASTER THE CAR IS GOING, THE WORSE THE SHAKES IS. REPLACED THE FRONT ROTORS, AND BRAKES, ABOUT 3 1/2 MONTHS AGO, THEY BRAKED FINE (BUT MADE A LOUD SQUEELING NOISE) UNTIL ABOUT 1 MONTH AGO, THEY STOPPED SQUEELING, AND STARTED SHAKING AGAIN. IF ANYBODY HAS ANY INFORMATION ON THIS SUBJECT, THEY WOULD BE GREATLY APPECIATED.

THANK YOU.

Nathan Keesee
115

I had a similar problem and it ended up being my calipers weren't releasing right so I had to replace them. I would make sure your brakes are releasing 100%

3Dimensions
60

Did/Do you have an Eclipse aswell, or was this on another car?. I heard that once the wobble starts, the rotors are actually warped. When you installed the new calipers on your car, did you have to put new rotors, pads, etc.. on aswell, or just calipers?. Thank you very much for the reply!.

Nathan Keesee
115

I actually just bought a 97 RS. Mechanically they're almost exactly the same as the GS. Yea your're right. It could be the rotors. Did you check to see if your rotors are smooth or if they have any grooves etched in them? If they're smooth, you should be fine as far as rotors go. I installed just the calipers and it fixed the problem.

3Dimensions
60

Alright, sounds good. I removed the front rotors and they both look smooth, so Ill check the calipers next, and maybe that will solve the issue. Its people like you that make these sites awesome!!!. Thanks again, and good luck with your RS.....

Nathan Keesee
115

Thanks and your welcome bro. Let me know how it goes.

Evan Johnson
55

ok so basically since you got new rotors soo soon the shouldnt have gone bad but it sounds like your calipers are sticking which is a pretty common problem and one side of the caliper will usually stick to the rotor even after you let off the brake so itll warp your rotors especially if your doin a lot of highway driving cause it's just rubbin on your rotors so an easy upgrade you can also do if you dont already have it is get the stock 2 piston calipers from an GSX because the GS/RS/&GST are all front wheel drive and have only one piston calipers so it'll up your braking substantially and you can just get them from someone off craigslist but they are hide to find usually because everyone knows how good of an upgrade they are for the front wheel drive turbo's

Nathan Keesee
115

Yea I agree it deff sounds like the calipers are sticking. Like I said, thats what my problem was. Front left was totally locked up and front right was dragging bad. I don't know though if I would buy used calipers. As far as brakes in general I would always get new. I paid like 80 buck for both of mine at Autozone.