Hi my name is vivitar and is my 2003 Mitsubishi outlander SUV, like in my other questions... about to die because of the pcv and cv joints+ Front Balll Bearings?

Vivitar
25

Asked by Vivitar Nov 23, 2013 at 01:02 AM about the 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander LS AWD

If you all think that i shouldn't put any more money on it cause it is slowly dying, ok.
I only say this because my questions have been answered and the # of Serious Problems
on my car... i am thinking about letting it die if there is nothing left on it to do. Also it has
151,685 Miles on it. I just thought i could save it...

7jimmy7
11,165

anything can be saved with some repairs, shop around for the cost to replace those few parts, it should be good for many more miles with normal maintenance .

Daniel Foster
3,295

what do you keep calling the Front Balll Bearings ???

Daniel Foster
3,295

do you mean the hubs the wheel bearings the ball joints CV joints or what????

Steva_
195

Dont waste good $$$ after bad ones. Save bit cash and buy newer vehicle with fewer miles. Its way too much mula to start repairing it.

Daniel Foster
3,295

steva, you think buying another car is gonna be cheaper than doing some suspension work and a head gasket ?

Vivitar
25

Hey Daniel, there's a few things u might want 2 know about me and u might want to ask why i want to save the car. reply and ask...

Daniel Foster
3,295

what ??? what would i want to know about you?? and why wont you tell me what you mean by the ball bearings ive asked like 3 or 4 times now lol by the way im not against you saving the car i think you should,, never said you shouldnt

Vivitar
25

I am 15 yrs. old and almost done with driver's ed., and i'm still learning about the parts of a car and what they r called...so sorry. Also i thought u were against me about saving the car. This is my grandma's old car and she's thinking about giving up on it and told me that if i want to have it in my future it would cost around $3,500 to fix the wheel bearing problem+ it is $95.00 an hour at where we plan to take it to get fixed. sorry bout all this... i think that usually most people on a car site r adults and would talk to adults,,, but instead they found out that they r talking to a kid.

Daniel Foster
3,295

nooo way a wheel bearing is gonna cost ya 3500,,, do it yourself for around 45bucks a wheel

Daniel Foster
3,295

my bad i should of checked the prices fore i said 45 bucks a wheel,, although thats alot closer to the truth than 3500 plus 90 an hour lol more like 135 bucks for some moog which i like alot,,, heres the link,,, http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PartSearchCmd?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&pageId=partTypeList&suggestion=&actionSrc=Suggest&langId=-1&searchTerm=front+wheel+hub+assembly&vehicleIdSearch=368971&searchedFrom=header#storeId=10151&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&vehicleIdSearch=368971&isAllVehicle=false&navigationPath=&sortBy=2&searchTerm=front+wheel+hub+assembly&pageId=ajaxPartList&category=&l1_categoryId=&l2_categoryId=&partType=&beginIndex=0&prCnt=17&pageSize=50&filters=&selectedPartNumber=&qty=1&ship2HomeClicked=

Steva_
195

Daniel, its not only head gasket, its array of lots of repair and more mula. For all above and bellow repairs its not worth it. Not everyone can do repairs themselves.

Steva_
195

By the way Daniel. All rotating machine parts are supported by bearings, which is either ball, roller,and or needle bearings. Its also called Antifriction bearings. Daniel is right on when she called it , ball bearings. Its self explanatory. Just in case you didn't know-terminology. Hope this help, to shed some light on to it. Above all big Cheers to everybody.

18,395

Hi Vivatar, none of the repairs you mentioned are serious. Or terribly expensive. I'd do the front end work first. This is a safety concern. The PCV system you can probably fix yourself. It's just a few hoses and the PCV valve. Now if you've already put a lot of money into this vehicle then yes you might consider replacing it like your Grandmom said. All vehicles reach a point when they're just worn out. But if these are the only repairs you've had to face and the vehicle is in otherwise good shape, I'd fix it. HTH. - Jim

Vivitar
25

There is a relief in all this... my G-ma already has another car given to her from my aunt and it's a Chrystler 2005 Pacifica( in great condition), but the 2003 Mitsubishi is what i thought of having. Also if we take this car into Les Schwab and if it would cost too much then i had another idea... I've been looking at other car lots for the same car or better and i've found a few that r in great condition so now i have relief that there r 2003 Mitsubishi's out there.lol

Daniel Foster
3,295

steva your an idiot,,, the hubs are not called ball bearings, their called wheel bearings or hubs depending on the type of car you have (hubs or pressed in bearings), and he was not right on when she/he called it ball bearings. so Its not self explanatory,for all i knew he meant the ball joints, and by the way how many ball bearings are on the crank bearings??? ZERO pal thats right not a ball bearing, roller,and or needle bearing, but sleeve type sliding bearings i know terminology but i think your lacking,,, yet another attempt to try to wrong me failed yet again, true i could of assumed that he was talking about the hubs and i did think thats what he was talking about but i didnt want too take it as that for sure cause no one that knows what a wheel bearing/hub is, calls the hubs ball bearings, so just wanted to make sure i knew what they were referring to thats all, cause if they dont know what something is called then i cant be sure thats what they are talking about for sure,, sorry better luck next time buddy

Vivitar
25

I just scheduled the car to be checked at Les Schwab and hopefully get results back to give me an estimate of how much it would cost.. and if it's too much... my g-ma was gonna sell it anyway if i couldn't save it. Also, theres a guy we know that is interested in the 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander and he is a mechanic and has the parts to possibly fix it so my g-ma was gonna sell it to him.

Steva_
195

My o my mr Daniel arent' we bit tasty, you self righteonus asshole. This is only our opinion, and who do you think you are that gives you right to judge others upon their and or our OPINION. You aint judge Roy from Texas. Take it easy Daniel. I dont wont you to have hearth attack. Second i am not your pall or budy. Cheers

Vivitar
25

we just got an update on how much it costs and now we r deciding on if we want to or not. also a neighbor down the street from us is gonna take a look at it and yes he's a mechanic and he says he'll look at it for free at his house but because of the car not wanting to drive at least 10 mph. speed down the road, i have to idle it all the way there.( also r u both ok? Sounds like World War 2 out there) lol

Daniel Foster
3,295

lol im cool i think steva is just getting butt hurt cause hes got a prove me wrong campaign against me and but ends up failing and being the one thats wrong everytime lol but its cool gotta love him for trying his hardest lol

Daniel Foster
3,295

oh and by the way, thanks for noticing how tasty i am, steva lmao

Daniel Foster
3,295

how much did the one garage quote you and what did they say was all wrong with it?

18,395

Thanks for the update, Vivatar. Keep us posted. -Jim

Vivitar
25

The garage was Les Schwab in Ferndale here and its $95.00 an hour that they charge to fix the whole thing. and it was the front wheel bearings on both front tires(ouch!) so then they told us that it is best not to drive it or else the balls have a big chance of coming out and the tire poppping off the car. Anyway: won't b driving that car still deciding if i want to save up $$$$ for the car or sell it....

Vivitar
25

Don't take this the wrong way or offensive, but r u guy or girl because i've met girls named daniel I also think steva was having trouble with ur gender too.lol

Daniel Foster
3,295

what makes you think he thought I'm a female?? did i miss something?? and I've never heard of a girl named Daniel,,, now Danielle that's a different story but no female Daniels lol

Daniel Foster
3,295

why dont you just do them yourself its easy as pie,, seriously it really is,, a really good project for a beginner for sure

Daniel Foster
3,295

why dont you just do them yourself its easy as pie,, seriously it really is,, a really good project for a beginner for sure,, also if thats all thats wrong with it, then its definitely worth keeping/saving

Vivitar
25

Look at his answers from 2 days ago........."Daniel is right on when she called it , Ball Bearings" that's what i saw he said in his text (she) but sorry, maybe i heard Danielle instead of Daniel. got them mixed up. lol

Daniel Foster
3,295

umm i believe that he was referring about you as a she but called you by my name lol for real think about it,,, i never called it a ball bearing YOU did lol

Daniel Foster
3,295

either he called you by my name on accident, or he forgot the add your name or a or a she after my name,,, so it would look like "Daniel she/he/they/vivatar/ etc, is right on when she called it , ball bearings. Its self explanatory." lol

Vivitar
25

Also the only thing i can do is save up the $$$ for the car because i'm not of age to fix cars even if it's easy work for begginers because i'm just a teen that's interested in cars and tries to solve ways of how to fix them so they live longer. Some of u might not know but i am almost 16 and in HighSchool. but have great grades for my future but didn't plan on being an engineer for my career.

Daniel Foster
3,295

why does your age mean you cant work on the car?? theres no age requirement lol i been working on cars since i was like 12, and for the hubs all you do is remove tire then remove the axel nut holding the hub on pull hub off slide new hub on and then put the axel nut back on and then put the tire back on,,, but its cool if you dont think you could handle that

18,395

Daniel's right. If you are interested in how cars work and fixing them jump in there. Maybe start small with oil changes, lube jobs, tune ups, filter changes. Remember Vivitar, every expert was once a beginner, just like you are now. But someday, if you want, you'll be a car expert too. I remember the first oil change I ever did. Took me an hour and a half. Got more oil on the ground and down my arm than in the drain pan. But I did it all myself! I was very proud too!! Now, 30 years later, an oil change takes me about a half hour. Practically no need to even wash my hands afterward either. Just a few drips of the old oil on my hand. That's it. Good luck to you! -Jim

Vivitar
25

ok:) im gonna post some pics. of what i'll be looking at, then u both tell me the first step of what i should do then i'll try it out( ALso with the right tools) hey daniel does it take a large 5 sided tool to get the bolts off the tire? also i could work on this in my garage but i need to find those strong ramps to park my car on so i can go under and take looks. Where can i buy those type of ramps?

Vivitar
25

on second thought i can't upload pics. right now my grandma told me that she doesn't want me to work on the car also not 2 get hurt which i understand.

Daniel Foster
3,295

actually you need jack stands.. you could use ramps i supposed but stands are best and as long as you would be buying something anyways, might as well get the right stuff and can get those at any parts store like advance auto harbor freight etc just get some that are rated well more than your truck weighs, also what do ya mean a large 5 sided tool?

Vivitar
25

This 5 sided tool is what takes off or loosens the bolts from what is connected to the wheels. 5 sides = Pentagon

Daniel Foster
3,295

i guess you mean tire iron but yeah you need to take off the wheels with a tire iron or a socket and long ratchet with an extension on it, but then you will need like a 30 mm socket for the axel nut

Vivitar
25

I only have smaller tools for like fixing smaller projects, also the tool is in the car to take off the tires but don't have all the right tools to fix so we have scheduled it to be looked at Friday. and they said that they don't charge to look at the car, but to fix things or replace parts then they charge...

Daniel Foster
3,295

so how you coming along with this ??

Vivitar
25

i was wondering when u would reply back :) another thing was added to be replaced so im saving up the $$ to replace it we ordered it and they have it but all i have to do is save up. (Battery) is very low and car here wont start now

Vivitar
25

The battery that we want is a lot better and only $150.00 and right now i have $50.00 yay!