I moved from Phoenix Arizona to Seattle Washington and my fuel Milagros went Fromm 330 miles per tank to 185 miles per tank. I made no changes to the care. And it was towed in a trailer to Seattle. How do i get my fuel millage back?

Big-jon Pabo
0

Asked by Big-jon Nov 29, 2012 at 12:37 AM about the 2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

2004 2.4 sohc non Turbo manual transmission. All stock no
modifications.

DavidH25

Did you accidently put it in metric mode? That change is right at the conversion from miles to kilometers

Big-jon Pabo
0

I wish it was that simple. But nope its still in miles.

DavidH25

Except backward. If you had it in metric first then put it in miles it will show a higher number in metric, km, bit it's still right on the same converted. Otherwise, does the gauge work for full/empty? Also after a while, a hundred or so, see if you really are getting less MPG and it is not the indicator gone bad, try real-time MPG also, what you are getting at the very moment for MPG and average MPG

DavidH25

We were typing at the same time...OK then, just a thought. I really don't understand how it would get cut in half like that, especially if it runs well. I am leaning to a sensor or indicator problem, not really getting half suddenly

DavidH25

I had a Town Car that would not change the readings until I drove and shut off and started several times, then it would finally be accurate. I put 12 gallons of gas in it and the range and gauge did not move, I went back the first time that happened I thought I got no gas and it was embarrassing to go in to the gas station and claim no gas came out of the pump, only to discover that was the problem

Big-jon Pabo
0

2004 2.4 eclipse gets 24 city 28 hwy. I am getting 12 city and 18 hwy.

DavidH25

That is strange, for that to happen for no apparent reason. Something must have happened in transit, ( I know, just thinking out loud so to speak), a foreign object clogging the intake? Does it rum smooth? UM, I'm trying here my friend...

Big-jon Pabo
0

Car runs great. Best ever. I've been a wrench for half my life and never been stumped like this. It makes no sence. No smell no codes no shakes scans clear. Performs great just shitty fuel mileage

DavidH25

Got that right. I was just trying to think of anything..so far I am stumped also. Let me stew on it...meantime maybe somebody will have an answer, it does make NO SENSE! ...........Phoenix to Seattle, talk about a climate change...anyway...I can do some looking around research

50,915

That is a tough one to answer. It should not have happened and it might not have anything to do with the location. Start with the basics - tire air pressure, fuel and air filters, spark plugs, etc. Get the codes read at a garage to see if there are pending codes that haven't lit the check engine light yet. Good luck.

Big-jon Pabo
0

Check check and check. All done and all new and no codes

gustang
595

Is the gas formula different in Washington? Are you buying the same gas that you used in Arizona?

Big-jon Pabo
0

Shell or chevron only 87oct. Now i brought my truck up with me as well 93 1500 throttle body injection. And use the same fuel in it as well and its running just fine and the same on MPG.

gustang
595

Are you hand calculating the mileage or using the readout from the Eclipse's computer?

Big-jon Pabo
0

Doin the math. Last tank was 11 gal of gas on 165miles= 15 MPG last tank in Phoenix was 315 miles and 10.5gals =30mpg ( i have made no change to the car between the two tanks of fuel)

DavidH25

Big-jon your car is going to make me nuttier than I already am, and THAT is sayin something.. I have read maybe 4 articles on why a car woyld suddenly drop that drastically, and none apply from what you describe. Runs well. No work done. No smoke. Quality gas. I am beginning to lean to odometer gone bad, giving you the wrong # miles..grasping at straws...has this happened with more than one tank of gas? How many gallons have you gone through like this?

Big-jon Pabo
0

I have been home for 3 weeks now and have put 5 tanks of fuel in it. When in Phoenix i would put one tank a month. I drive on average 20 miles a day. Dash going bad can't be the answer. When i fill up it takes almost 12 gallons every time. My tank from what I've filled before holds 12.5 gallons

Big-jon Pabo
0

This tank of fuel only lasted me 120 miles.

nascar24
125

Even if no codes sounds like your map sensor went haywire because of different altitudes

DavidH25

Phoenix, 1135' asl ....Seatle 590'. A diff of 545'....? and it's range in tank, unrelated to GPS, I knew these without looking them up, spent 9 years in Phoenix at Luke AFB and 4 in Seattle at General Dynamics at the airport. Hey man. I am not that smart, you just hit on something I do know about, mostly I can answer questions about Fighter avionics and A&P turboprop, turbojet, and fly-by-wire than I can cars, I learn more on this forum than I help others