Loose rear wheel 1992 mercury cougar ls

jdtyler4307
0

Asked by jdtyler4307 Aug 27, 2014 at 11:21 AM about the 1992 Mercury Cougar 2 Dr LS Coupe

L rear wheel. The plate the lugnut studs are in is loose. How do I fix it? The fastening nut appears to be tight.

21,975

So are you talking about the axle is loose? Up and down, in and out movements? Or the wheels lug nuts except the locking one are loose?

13,685

Sounds like a wheel bearing. How loose is "loose"?----- really wobbles when driving, or jack it up and just a little movement? Also I found that the 1992 Cougar had 4-wheel disc option, so are we talking disk or drum brakes? Pleas describe the plate you are talking about...diameter, and do the studs stick in from the back?

Best Answer
13,685

Exactly what I was trying to figure out 'shoes. It is rear wheel drive

13,685

THIS?? is loose, and we really need to know what tennisshoes asked..an in-out motion or side to side wobble?

13,685

Well thank you for the click, really, but I don't know for fact it's the bearing

21,975

FordNut that is a pic of a front hub. 92 cougar was a rear wheel drive. But I still don't know what they are about. On those cars the bearing ran right on the axle, so if they have an up down movement the bearing as well as the axle is shot, but if it just in and out movement most of that is normal. but then again if they have ran it with a loose rim it could have damaged the the studs as well as the wheel, so I don't know what this fastening nut nut is

T_S_T
13,665

I think it would be in the axel itself,meaning loose at pinion,in rear end,if it was just bearing,they would not just see it they would have heard it first,just my oppion fella,s ,not trying to overule ethier of you.

13,685

Hey guys, TST no need to explain. Your input is always welcome. And t'shoes, I stand corrected. I thought it was rear. Thanks fellas Both of you know more than I do, we all have our specialties but mine is narrow, and you guys is broad spectrum. I even like to read very 'dry' tech articles, like the one written by the engineers and designers of the 1ZZ FE, the 1.8 I have in my Corolla, learned about '"tapered squish". for example and how VVi works. I can set a distributor in a Ford 390 by ear. But there are lots of questions I have no clue that you guys answer. Good work, both of you

13,685

And if jdtyler would come back I think between us we can figure this one out

90,055

We need pics!