What is wrong with my car it will crank but die but as long as I pree the gas it will run but stop pressing the gas it dies

Denamontgomery_36
0

Asked by Denamontgomery_36 Mar 26, 2013 at 08:37 PM about the 1996 Mercury Mystique 4 Dr LS Sedan

judge_roy

sounds like a fuel pressure issue. Could you test the pressure at the fuel rail? There is a shroeder valve (like the kind bicycles have) on the fuel rail for testing....you could press it for a generous spray of gasoline, then you'd know the fuel pressure regulator was doin' it's job. You know 1996 till now is plenty of time for the butyl rubber vacuum hoses to degrade till leaking....you might want to consider nitrile tubing that will never go bad, or simply buy the cheap stuff and in ten years be replacing that too-

judge_roy

so answer, yes> vacuum attachment to the fuel pressure regulator has decided, I like ambient air from this split in the hose rather than performing the requisite function-