How do you replace door lock striker bushing on 1997 Mercury Mountaineer

jcuwood
35

Asked by jcuwood Feb 21, 2013 at 10:44 AM about the 1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4 Dr STD SUV

I can get the pin loose with Torx wrench.  My main question is whether or not the threaded nut inside the door post is attached so that it does not fall down when I remove the pin?  It feels awfully loose inside when I start to unthread the pin.  I don't want to risk the internal nut falling down into the body somewhere.  It looks like I can remove the internal trim if necessary, but would like to avoid that if possible.

82,675

I think you would need to be on the backside to access the nut. So your just replacing the plastic bushing on the sticker itself? I found an easy way to do it without removing the pin. I got the bushings from Autozone, 5 to a pack and cut one lengthwise, put a slit in it with a hacksaw blade and slipped it over the pin.