Front Drive Unit

Realdeal
0

Asked by Realdeal Feb 10, 2010 at 01:20 PM about the 1999 Mercury Mountaineer 4 Dr STD AWD SUV

Can you take the front drive shaft & axles out & does this effect any sensors?

Alex Hoff
25

yes and it highly stresses out the transfer case! if ur looking for better gas milage u'll get worst and if ur looking to do burn outs ull get a shread of metal in ur transfer case allong with a loud clunk that eventually will disable ur vehical from moving!!

liquidbend22
50

Man I have the 1997 mountaineer allwheel drive and I just replaced the cv shafts and front drive shaft and after all that I still have this wierd thunk noise comming from the front end. I cant figure it out and there is also a kinda high tone whinning noise. I have parked the car I dont know what do but disconnect the front drive shaft. After spending a ton of money I still need help on this issue. The oil in the transfer case is clean no metal nothing. Anyone help please Im thinking the front drive shaft is bad replaced the ujoints. HELP

31,625

It sounds like you have a couple of problems, the first one sounds like the viscous clutch may have went bad inside the transfer case, the second sounds like the front ring and pinion or bearings are starting to wear out. I had the same type of vehicle, 99 Merc Mountaineer with a 5.0 V8 and the viscous clutch went out in it so I just took the front driveline out and ran it that way, my mileage did increase 2 miles per on the highway. Check out the Serious Explorations web site for more info on Ford Explorer and Mountaineers.