I have a 99 Mercury Cougar and it makes a really loud moaning sound. It happen twice already. One time the sound occured when turned the vehicel on anthoer time it maked the sound again then my engine light and battery light came on and the car stalled. Whats going on here?...

Jahmar Kirk
30

Asked by Jahmar Apr 13, 2013 at 09:11 AM about the 1999 Mercury Cougar 2 Dr V6 Hatchback

DavidH25

Serpentine belt..broken... or power steering pump low fluid. A/C clutch most common to lock up, threw belt...OK first check if the belt is there, if not there ya are. If belt still on and looks OK, look at everything with engine running to see if anything does not look right, then turn on A/C and look again

judge_roy

okay...wow, you are one amazing cat. I was thinkin' exhaust diverter gone wonky, like EGR (hate to use those letters all in the same sentance), or pluggy Catalytic converter fuffin up to the manifold which likes to blow gaskets---but once again a fertile imagination in only right some of the time~

DavidH25

Well Judge I very well could be. Just as possible. But when I see "moan' .as opposed to Bang or pop..

judge_roy

yes the belt. It's obvious probably could bet me a hundred dollars even before opening the hood~

DavidH25

Naw, I always lose bets. I could make a bet that the sky is blue and lose because I make the bet, look outside and it's overcast right then

7jimmy7
11,995

I ill raze ya five, if money bags loans me a few! how about the trans convertor ,or any hydraulic pump, only other is steering

Jahmar Kirk
30

Brian- justanswer.com "The symptoms you are describing are most commonly caused by a failing Idle air control valve. This valve controls idle speed my moving a spring loaded valve open and closed to vary the amount of air past the throttle plate. The noise is caused by the valve not staying at its designated position and vibrating as the air passes through it, this will also cause the stalling concern as it cannot control the idle speed."