When it gets really hot or cold outside the coolant level drops drastically. Why is happening?

blythesoul
0

Asked by blythesoul Jan 23, 2013 at 01:34 PM about the 2003 Mercury Sable LS

Temperature gauge reads hot when driving and coolant level drops in hot or cold temperatues.

120,185

Where are you checking the level, in the expansion tank in the engine compartment? If it is dropping you are either burning the coolant in the engine or it is leaking. If you are low on fluid, your temperature will run hot and if you run it long enough, you will overheat your engine. First thing is to look for leaks and replace the necessary parts. Keep the coolant level at least at the min. on the tank till you get this fixed. Did your car overheat in the past?